Chesterfield Area Walking Festival
Enjoy the Chesterfield Area on foot, discovering our moorlands including Big Moor with its stone circles, searching out wildflowers in ancient woodlands, and going on a treasure hunt around Spital Cemetery. Explore history in the landscape on the George Stephenson – Rocket Man walk or a Tale of Two Pits. Help Clean Up Chesterfield or go on a Bumblebee Safari. Discover hidden secrets on the Unstone Line or step out on the Family Adventure Journey.
If you’re looking for a challenge, try the Chesterfield Round Walk, a 34 mile trek through the countryside that surrounds the town. If that sounds all too much take an evening stroll, a short walk with all the family or an early wander to hear the Dawn Chorus.
With 35 walks to choose from there’s got to be one that suits you whether it’s boarding a narrowboat for a trip on the Chesterfield Canal followed by a walk back to Tapton Lock, a walk around Renishaw Hall Gardens or an exploration of Chesterfield Museum’s collection at one of their rarely opened offsite stores.
Enjoy the stunning Derbyshire countryside ¬– Ogston reservoir, woods carpeted in bluebells, stunning views from ridges, waterside walks and nature reserves. See some of our great houses and halls including Hardwick, Sutton Scarsdale and Bolsover Castle.
Most walks are free so there’s no excuse not to join us. All are led by a fully trained guide who knows the history, wildlife and the best countryside to walk through (as well as the best pubs to visit) in the beautiful Chesterfield landscape.
Most walks free of charge but must be booked in advance.
- Disabled access - Check the individual walks to see if they are wheelchair friendly for independent or accompanied wheelchair users.
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Children welcome - Many walks welcome children but some walks are family friendly and have additional activities for children.
- Pushchairs available - Although pushchairs aren't available, some walks are pushchair friendly.
- Free Parking - Check each individual walk for details on parking.
- Parking with charge - Check each individual walk for details on parking.
- Dogs Accepted - Some walks allow dogs on a lead.
- Public toilets - Check the individual walks to see if they have toilets available en route.
Sorry, this event has passed
Map & Directions
Directions to the starting point for each walk are given on each individual walk, with postcodes for satnav users and full addresses.
Public Transport Directions
Information for each walk includes parking details . If you need details of buses for walks, please contact Chesterfield Visitor Information Centre (Tel: 01246 345777, Email: email@example.com)