The vast and immensely impressive ruins of a palatial medieval manor house arranged round a pair of courtyards, with a huge undercrofted Great Hall and a defensible High Tower 22 metres (72 feet) tall. This monument to late medieval ‘conspicuous consumption’ was built in the 1440s for the wealthy Ralph, Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of England. It was later the home of Bess of Hardwick’s husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury, who imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots here in 1569, 1584 and 1585.
Pre booked guided tours only.
- English Heritage Property
* Please see website for further details.
Map & Directions
By car: 17 miles north of Derby, 11 miles south of Chesterfield on B5053 ( 1/2 mile south of South Wingfield) No parking on site.Accessible by Public Transport: Alfreton station is 4 miles away.