The Winding Wheel opened in 1923 as the Picture House and, in the late 30s it was bought by the Odeon Cinema chain. As well as a cinema, the building housed a ballroom and a restaurant. It closed in 1981 but was bought by Chesterfield Borough Council, restored and refurbished, opening again in the late 80s as a conference and entertainment venue and later gained Grade II listed building status
Today, the Winding Wheel Theatre is home to Stage Bar and has three rooms which are regularly used for events these are - the Auditorium, Function and Ballroom which has a beautiful stained glass dome over the dance floor. Hosting a diverse programme of events including West End musicals, stand-up comedy, music concerts and lectures.
Prices vary according to performances
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Facilities for groups
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
- Parking with charge - Town centre car parks nearby
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
* Open for events and performances only.
The Box Office is open an hour before each performance for ticket collection and door sales. Alternatively you can purchase tickets from the Box Office at the Visitor Information Centre in Rykneld Square (Currently open Monday - Saturday, 9.30am-3pm) or call 01246 345222 or visit www.chesterfieldtheatres.co.uk
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good24
- Jackie EBolsover, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing staff!Sunday, 22nd May 2022Wanted to acknowledge the amazing staff at the Winding Wheel today when we visited. It was only my grandsons second visit to the theatre and he was a bit overwhelmed and upset. The staff were... Read full review
- JenAnnieNottingham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesTerrible venueMonday, 21st November 2022We went to see the Chesterfield Symphony Orchestra, performing their 25th year anniversary Proms Concert. It was fantastic. The conductor the Orchestra & the music was amazing, so good. There us so... Read full review
- 14-9-ansUnited KingdomTrip Type:CouplesChesterfield Symphony OrchestraThursday, 1st December 2022We came here for the orchestras 40th anniversary proms concert and they were terrific and played a great variety of music ending with the traditional Pomp and Circumstance followed by Jerusalem The... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Winding Wheel is in Chesterfield town centre and there are many nearby car parks. The directions below are to the nearest car park
From North/South Leave M1 at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At roundabout select middle lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select right hand lane and take 2nd exit (Lordsmill Street). Keep to right hand lane and go straight on through traffic lights and round back of 'Crooked Spire' Church. Select right hand lane and go straight on at 1st and 2nd set of traffic lights, approaching large roundabout with car park in middle. Keep to right hand lane and turn right into car park (Holywell Cross).
From East Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway, then follow route from North/South.
From West Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Matalan) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep to left lane and, at traffic lights, go straight on. At next roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (Lordsmill Street). Select right hand lane, then follow route from North/South.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station Chesterfield, 10 minute walk away
Any bus to Chesterfield town centre