Established in 2016, White Peak Distillery is the first full-scale, craft distillery in the Peak District region. Founded by local couple, Max & Claire Vaughan. The Distillery is located in the former Johnson & Nephew Wire Works in Ambergate and celebrates the rich riverside and industrial landscape of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. The Distillery backs onto the ancient woodland of Shining Cliff, which is a site of special scientific interest. As well as being at a gateway to the Peak District our location offers access to some wonderful, local woodland walks, and to footpaths that follow the Cromford Canal to Cromford Mills.
A visit to the Distillery is underscored by the passion the team has for authentic craft spirits and their unique destination for whisky, gin and other spirits. You’ll have an opportunity to learn a bit of the history of the Wire Works (originally established in 1876). On the Distillery tasting tours you’re able to sample our Derbyshire style of single malt spirit as well as our range of award-winning Shining Cliff gin. For more information about visiting us at the Distillery and to book a tour please visit our website for availabilty.
Distillery Tour 60 mins £15 (includes tasting glass)
Whisky Tour 90 mins £30 (includes tasting glass)
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- 2m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Time limited visits
- Guided tours for groups
- Free Parking
- Gift shop
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Friday||11:00||- 16:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||Closed|
* Please see our website for opening times and bookings
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good4
- 536nettiebTrip Type:Friends getawayGreat placeFriday, 23rd July 2021Really informative :) great place, and delicious drinks :) can't wait to try the bottle of gin i bought Read full review
- louisemS2612QXTrip Type:Friends getawayThe best way to to spend a Saturday morningSaturday, 31st July 2021Brilliant tour everyone really friendly & Kane our tour guide was the best. Thank you for a great morning the passion & joy of the distillery was very infection. Well worth a visit and will be back... Read full review
- Loulabelle988Long Eaton, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayWhisky TourSaturday, 31st July 2021The tour was really informative and you could really sense the enthusiasm from the team about where the distillery could go in the future. The tasting was amazing, really informative and very... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Distillery is located at Derwent Wire Works directly off the A6 (Matlock road) between Belper and Matlock, DE56 2HE should bring you direct to the Wire Works entrance. Follow signs over the bridge to the distillery.
Public Transport Directions
The distillery is served by excellent public transport options. Ambergate train station is a 10 minute walk from the Distillery and located on the Derwent Valley Line. Journeys can be made from stations in Matlock, Derby and Nottingham and the stations along those lines.
High Peak runs the Transpeak bus service between Derby and Buxton and there is a request bus stop right outside the main site entrance to the Distillery. Buses run every hour, please check the web-site below to plan your journey.
- White Peak Distillery