Established in 2016, White Peak Distillery is the first full-scale, craft distillery in the Peak District region. Founded by local couple, Max & Claire Vaughan. The Distillery is located in the former Johnson & Nephew Wire Works in Ambergate and celebrates the rich riverside and industrial landscape of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. The Distillery backs onto the ancient woodland of Shining Cliff, which is a site of special scientific interest. As well as being at a gateway to the Peak District our location offers access to some wonderful, local woodland walks, and to footpaths that follow the Cromford Canal to Cromford Mills.
A visit to the Distillery is underscored by the passion the team has for authentic craft spirits and their unique destination for whisky, gin and other spirits. You’ll have an opportunity to learn a bit of the history of the Wire Works (originally established in 1876). On the Distillery tasting tours you’re able to sample our Derbyshire style of single malt spirit as well as our range of award-winning Shining Cliff gin. For more information about visiting us at the Distillery and to book a tour please visit our website for availabilty.
Distillery Tour 60 mins £15 (includes tasting glass)
Whisky Tour 90 mins £30 (includes tasting glass)
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- 2m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Time limited visits
- Guided tours for groups
- Free Parking
- Gift shop
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Friday||11:00||- 16:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||Closed|
* Please see our website for opening times and bookings
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good6
- Curious16839325986Ely, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayWonderful little start-up distillery, now in its 3 year.Thursday, 7th October 2021Wonderful little start-up distillery, now in its 3 year (as of writing). The tour is an excellent mixture of the distilling process and history of the company. The tour guide, Kane, was knowledgeable... Read full review
- Amie CTrip Type:CouplesFantastic distillery tourSaturday, 9th October 2021Fantastic distillery tour, the host was so knowledgeable and friendly. The gin tasting at the end was amazing as well. Left with a couple of bottles to try, some gin and some rum! Wonderful place... Read full review
- Cceb74Manchester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAn interesting overview of the Distillery processSaturday, 23rd October 2021A really interesting tour with a friendly and knowledgeable guide in Dave. We were shown how to make whisky, gin and rum and tasted 3 gins and a rum afterwards. The kids were made welcome and given... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Distillery is located at Derwent Wire Works directly off the A6 (Matlock road) between Belper and Matlock, DE56 2HE should bring you direct to the Wire Works entrance. Follow signs over the bridge to the distillery.
Public Transport Directions
The distillery is served by excellent public transport options. Ambergate train station is a 10 minute walk from the Distillery and located on the Derwent Valley Line. Journeys can be made from stations in Matlock, Derby and Nottingham and the stations along those lines.
High Peak runs the Transpeak bus service between Derby and Buxton and there is a request bus stop right outside the main site entrance to the Distillery. Buses run every hour, please check the web-site below to plan your journey.
- White Peak Distillery