Treak Cliff Cavern is an Underground Wonderland of stalactites and stalagmites, rocks, minerals and fossils, and Home to the unique Blue John Stone! With the Treak Cliff Cavern App previously downloaded onto your Smart phone, you follow a marked route through the cavern, with the information delivered to your phone via Blue tooth beacons as you move along, enabling you to focus on the stunning cave and the great audio tour we have prepared. The walking tour lasts around 1 hour and there are opportunities to stop, take photographs and soak up the underground atmosphere. As you come out of the Cavern the view of Castleton and the Hope Valley stretches for 10 miles in front of you. Our small museum houses a wealth of historic Blue John Stone treasures collected by the owners, and displayed at Treak Cliff Cavern for everyone to enjoy. Discover more about the formation, discovery and history of the Cavern and the family who care for it today. You can browse our shop to choose Blue John jewellery, and items made in our onsite workshops, or choose rocks and minerals from all over the world!
Our Cafe on the Cliff only serves takeaway drinks and snacks and is currently only open at weekends.
We’re located within some of the Peak District’s most beautiful countryside on some of the most popular Public Footpaths. You can incorporate a visit to us on the way to or from the amazing mountain of Mam Tor and its old Broken Road. Our local village of Castleton is just 1 mile away, with Peveril Castle, shops and amenities, plus the Peak District National Park Visitor Centre & museum.
Children under 5 are FREE and do not need to have tickets. Please let us know if you intend to bring more than 4 children under 5 for any given slot so we can manage capacity. Be aware we are on a steep hillside so there is no wheelchair access to or inside the Cavern, and some areas underground are low and narrow. At least one adult (18+) MUST be present for insurance policies, so please only book if there is an adult in your party. We look forward to welcoming you!
For children there is an Activity Book with pencil which can be purchased as an add on with your booking (children can share ) and be collected before you enter the Underground. Or you can purchase from the shop on your way in.
Before you arrive, please download the Situate app from the App store then:
1. select the Treak Cliff Cavern app
2. enter the App and go to Settings - the icon is 3 small bars usually in the top left or top right of the screen
3. select 'keep awake' or 'keep open' depending on the type of phone
4. turn on blue tooth
5. you can read about Treak Cliff Cavern in advance of your visit
REMEMBER to bring your headphones or Bluetooth earpiece to use with your smartphone or tablet when you come to visit. You may want to bring a portable power bank.
We look forward to welcoming you !!
What to bring
What to bring
- Warm Clothing - The temperature inside the Cavern is a constant 11 degrees Centigrade, which can feel very cold, or occasionally less cold compared with the outside seasonal temperature !!!
- Waterproofs - Water drips from the cavern ceilings all the time,but you should dress for the weather conditions at the time of your visit, because the Entrance is on a steep exposed hillside, 10 minutes climb from the car park.