Experience an Underground Wonderland of stalactites and stalagmites, rocks, minerals and fossils, and Home to the unique mineral Blue John Stone, found only in Treak Cliff Hill, at Castleton, Derbyshire. Treak Cliff Cavern is world famous for it's large visible deposits of Blue John Stone, and the finest Stalactites in the PeakDistrict. The Cavern is located on a steep hill, 10 minutes walk up 80 steps in easy stages, from the car park, so there is NO wheelchair access to the Entrance buildings or through the cavern itself, although Walking Disabled visitors may be accomadated.
Mined for the rare Blue John ornamental mineral for over 300 years, the Visitor Attraction is a family run business, operated by the Harrison family, continuously since 1945. The Treak Cliff crafts people continue the traditions of mining, processing, manufacturing and retailing Blue John Stone jewellery, mineral specimens and ornaments in the on site workshops.
Prior to the Covid-19 Pandemic, visitors could experience the Polish Your Own Blue John Stone Activity, working with the crafts people,to create a polished piece of Blue John, but this is suspended for the time being, hoping to re start the activities in August or September 2020.
Recently, a successful grant application from the European Regional Development Fund has contributed to new displays, a museum, and facilities in the Cavern Visitor Centre. These illustrate the family, and the history of Treak Cliff Cavern: its formation, discovery and development, with the people who care for it.
Tours of the Cavern are Self Guided Audio on your own Smart Phone via an APP and bluetooth beacons, you may wish to bring your own head phones too.
Timed entry is every 10 minutes, the tour lasts approx 45 minues, booked preferably online to ensure your place, with entry beginning at 10am throughout the day until last entry at 4pm.
Each EntryTime is for a minimum of 2 and a maximumof 10 people, limited to your own couple, family or social group, so that you can enjoy your experience in your own Social Bubble. Safety information is delivered along your route and there are hand sanitizer stations on the hand rails throughout the cavern and the buildings. You may have to queue for the retail shop and the Museum as social distancing measures and markers are in place around the site.
See website for details
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Derbyshire Awards Peak District & Derbyshire - Tourism Awards 2022 - Resilience and Innovation - Bronze Award 2022
- Derbyshire Awards Peak District & Derbyshire - Tourism Awards 2022 - Visitor Attraction - Silver Award 2022
- Assistance dogs welcome
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities - Please ask a member of staff if you need to use this facility.
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place - Where 2m social distancing is not possible then 1m is indicated instead
- 2m distancing in place - 2m social distancing is possible throughout the Underground, and visitors can also keep 1m from others within their time slot Social Bubble too.
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit - Timed Cavern Entry slots, every 10 minutes from 10am to 4pm throughout the day, minimum 2 and max 10 people from the same social group or household, per slot.
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff - Hand sanitiser located on the hand rails throughout the cavern, as well as in the shop etc.
- Interactive displays closed
- Online booking only - On line booking is preferred, but if there are timed slots available we can accommodate walk in visitors.
- Online booking possible - On line booking is preferred , however if there are timed entry slots available we can take walk in visitors too.
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Time limited visits - Self-guided audio tours using your own Smart phone, entry to the cave every 10 minutes, guided through the Cavern by blue tooth beacons, the tour lasts approx 45 minutes.
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
- French signs/guides
- German signs/guides
- Italian signs/guides
- Spanish signs/guides
- Free Parking
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Guided tours for individuals - Self-guided audio tours on your OWN Smart Phone via an App delivered via blue tooth beacons
- Guided tours mandatory
- Smoking not allowed
- WiFi or internet access
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Welcome Host
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
- Single sex groups welcomed
|Open New Year|
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
* Open all year except 25th December.
Tours are Self guided audio
1st March to 31st October - 9am until 5pm
1st November - 29th February - 10am until 4pm
See website for further details
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good193
- spottydog50Manchester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHighly recommended visit - our favourite cavern in the areaTuesday, 23rd August 2022We very much enjoyed this attraction - the self guided tour was an excellent way to learn as much as we wanted to, it was explained well, and meant we could set our own comfortable pace. it was fine... Read full review
- Michael BLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSubterranean WondersSunday, 11th September 2022Had a great visit to the Treak Cliff Cavern. You download the App on your phone and then enter the Cave for a 'self-guided' tour. The tour commentary is available in several European languages and is... Read full review
- TwoPintsPleaseSanta Fe, New MexicoTrip Type:CouplesBreathtaking!Saturday, 17th September 2022Took the self-guided tour and it was fantastic! Make sure you download the app (free) so you can listen as you go through the caverns. Love that it is self-paced. We were able to spend more time in... Read full review
Map & Directions
From M1 Junc 29 to Chesterfield. Follow brown tourist signs for Chatsworth until you reach Baslow. Then follow signs for Grindleford & Hathersage. At the T junction in Hathersage turn left on to A6187 and remain on that road to Castleton, and follow brown tourist signs for Treak Cliff Cavern.From Sheffield - A625 to Hathersage. A6187 to Castleton.By bus No. 272 to Castleton.From Manchester - Follow A6 signposted Buxton to Chapel-en-le-Frith then use A625 to Castleton. Follow signpost for 'Castleton Caverns'.