Experience an Underground Wonderland of stalactites and stalagmites, rocks, minerals and fossils, and Home to the unique mineral Blue John Stone, found only in Treak Cliff Hill, at Castleton, Derbyshire. Treak Cliff Cavern is world famous for it's large visible deposits of Blue John Stone, and the finest Stalactites in the PeakDistrict. The Cavern is located on a steep hill, 10 minutes walk up 80 steps in easy stages, from the car park, so there is NO wheelchair access to the Entrance buildings or through the cavern itself, although Walking Disabled visitors may be accomadated.
Mined for the rare Blue John ornamental mineral for over 300 years, the Visitor Attraction is a family run business, operated by the Harrison family, continuously since 1945. The Treak Cliff crafts people continue the traditions of mining, processing, manufacturing and retailing Blue John Stone jewellery, mineral specimens and ornaments in the on site workshops.
Prior to the Covid-19 Pandemic, visitors could experience the Polish Your Own Blue John Stone Activity, working with the crafts people,to create a polished piece of Blue John, but this is suspended for the time being, hoping to re start the activities in August or September 2020.
Recently, a successful grant application from the European Regional Development Fund has contributed to new displays, a museum, and facilities in the Cavern Visitor Centre. These illustrate the family, and the history of Treak Cliff Cavern: its formation, discovery and development, with the people who care for it.
Tours of the Cavern are Self Guided Audio on your own Smart Phone via an APP and bluetooth beacons, you may wish to bring your own head phones too.
Timed entry is every 10 minutes, the tour lasts approx 45 minues, booked preferably online to ensure your place, with entry beginning at 10am throughout the day until last entry at 4pm.
Each EntryTime is for a minimum of 2 and a maximumof 10 people, limited to your own couple, family or social group, so that you can enjoy your experience in your own Social Bubble. Safety information is delivered along your route and there are hand sanitizer stations on the hand rails throughout the cavern and the buildings. You may have to queue for the retail shop and the Museum as social distancing measures and markers are in place around the site.
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities - Please ask a member of staff if you need to use this facility.
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place - Where 2m social distancing is not possible then 1m is indicated instead
- 2m distancing in place - 2m social distancing is possible throughout the Underground, and visitors can also keep 1m from others within their time slot Social Bubble too.
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit - Timed Cavern Entry slots, every 10 minutes from 10am to 4pm throughout the day, minimum 2 and max 10 people from the same social group or household, per slot.
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff - Hand sanitiser located on the hand rails throughout the cavern, as well as in the shop etc.
- Interactive displays closed
- Online booking only - On line booking is preferred, but if there are timed slots available we can accommodate walk in visitors.
- Online booking possible - On line booking is preferred , however if there are timed entry slots available we can take walk in visitors too.
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Time limited visits - Self-guided audio tours using your own Smart phone, entry to the cave every 10 minutes, guided through the Cavern by blue tooth beacons, the tour lasts approx 45 minutes.
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- French signs/guides
- German signs/guides
- Italian signs/guides
- Spanish signs/guides
- Free Parking
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Guided tours for individuals - Self-guided audio tours on your OWN Smart Phone via an App delivered via blue tooth beacons
- Guided tours mandatory
- Smoking not allowed
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Welcome Host
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
|Open New Year|
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* We’re good to go from the 4th July 2020 ! We hope to be open all year as usual.
Please visit our website to book a timed entry slot so you are sure of your place, as walk-in visitors will be turned away if we are fully booked.
Open 1st March to 31st Oct , last Entry 4 pm
Open 1st Nov to 28th Feb, last entry 3 pm
Closed on 25th December
Open from noon on Boxing Day and noon on New Year's Day
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good181
- hsneagleOxford, United KingdomWonderful caves!Thursday, 1st October 2020Set in a wonderful location, we enjoyed our tour. It’s self guided which meant we could spend how long we wanted inside looking around! We loved hearing about the history of the caves and the staff... Read full review
- Emmalou69Huddersfield, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyOkWednesday, 28th October 2020Interesting experience and beautiful inside but would prefer an actual host to show you around and make it more interactive like Peak cavern. Not good value for money, should be cheaper Read full review
- S2110XRsuebNorthamptonshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExcellent venue for a wet daySunday, 15th November 2020We decided to visit on a very wet day which was Ideal. Easy and free to park but lots of steep steps up to the entrance, not a problem for us though. Very helpful and friendly staff who got us in on... Read full review
Map & Directions
From M1 Junc 29 to Chesterfield. Follow brown tourist signs for Chatsworth until you reach Baslow. Then follow signs for Grindleford & Hathersage. At the T junction in Hathersage turn left on to A6187 and remain on that road to Castleton, and follow brown tourist signs for Treak Cliff Cavern.From Sheffield - A625 to Hathersage. A6187 to Castleton.By bus No. 272 to Castleton.From Manchester - Follow A6 signposted Buxton to Chapel-en-le-Frith then use A625 to Castleton. Follow signpost for 'Castleton Caverns'.