Venture into the Peak District National Park on a biking adventure starting from an independent, family run cycle hire in the centre of Ashbourne. Cycle along the family friendly, traffic-free Tissington Trail, with 13.5 miles ahead of you this old railway line will take you into the very heart of the Peak District and will ensure you see a variety of the landscapes it has to offer.
The Bike Barn is open all year round with something for all of the family to hire. With over 25 years of experience in the cycle trade, The Bike Barn takes pride in offering quality and competitively priced hire. With the availability of quality child-seats, trailers, trailer-bikes, standard bikes in all sizes and electric bikes too we really do cater for everyone from babies to adults and we even have something for the pooch! With bookings being taken all year round you can guarantee availability of everything you need, ready for you upon your arrival. Everything you will require for the hire is included in the hire charge; helmets, locks, pumps and repair kits (just in case!).
Your map of the trails (included) will guide you the short distance to the trail and will show the best pit stops on route with the handy tea room and pub guide. Look out for the picturesque village of Tissington, nestled alongside the trail only 3.5 miles into your journey, a must see! Cycle on past Hartington and just before Parsley Hay you’ll find the trail meets The High Peak Trail, a further disused railway line offering many more miles of traffic free cycling and many more wonderful, scenic landscapes to admire.
Leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind and immerse yourself in the beautiful countryside surroundings, taking in the fascinating views, flora and fauna as you cycle past at your own pace, taking the very same route that many passengers travelled by train in years gone by. Look out for numerous original railway heritage along your journey, from the platform at Tissington to plate layers huts and the wonderfully restored signal box at Hartington.
The Bike Barn also offer servicing and repairs, sales of accessories and sales of new and refurbished cycles, we really do cater for all your cycling needs!
So why not come along and experience the great outdoors!
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Child-seat cycle (fitted to hire bike only)||£19.00|
|Junior Cycle (24 Inch wheel and below)||£11.00|
Prices are charged per day.
Trailer/tagalong/dog trailer £11 (+£2 on your own bike)
Pup-truck £5 (rack mounted dog basket for small dogs)
Please bring photo ID as a returnable deposit for the hire.
Pre-payment is required to secure all bookings. All major credit/debit cards are accepted
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Children welcome
- Facilities for groups
- Free Parking - Nearby parking subject to availability. See website for postcode.
- Dogs Accepted
- Accepts groups
* See website (they vary through the year due to daylight hours).
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good0
- Angie12345676Great fun and excellent serviceThursday, 10th September 2020Excellent friendly staff. We booked at the last minute, the owner gave us direction to free parking and the bikes were waiting for us. John gave us some useful tips to make our day more enjoyable and... Read full review
- AkshatDimriNottingham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAbsolutely Fantastic!Sunday, 13th September 2020Absolutely fantastic experience with ever so helpful John and the lovely lovely Jayne! Great (almost brand new) bikes, very welcoming team, very friendly and guiding with great local knowledge and... Read full review
- DJS181266Aberdeen, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA great place to hire your bikesSaturday, 17th October 2020Great service and great quality. The bikes were set up for us before we arrived and looked as new - they all worked faultlessly. The local tips regarding the Tissington Trail and what to look out for... Read full review
Map & Directions
Situated in the centre of Ashbourne, a short ride from the Southern end of the Tissington Trail. Accessed easily from the A52 from Derby, the A515 from the A50 or Buxton and the A523/A52 from Leek.
Public Transport Directions
Shaw Croft car park (DE6 1GD) is a short stay car park and has a maximum of 4 hours parking.
Long stay car parks in Ashbourne are available at;
The Cattle Market car park DE6 1ED
Cockayne Avenue car park DE6 1EJ (free all day parking)
Ashbourne Leisure Centre DE6 1AA
Fishpond Meadow car park, Park Road DE6 1FN