Chesterfield's theatre opened in 1949 in the Stephenson Memorial Hall which was built in 1879 as a tribute to the 'Father of the Railways' George Stephenson who had moved to Chesterfield in 1838. More than 100 years later, the Hall was home to a Cinema Company. Following its closure, a public appeal raised £5,000 and the Hall became the Civic Theatre.
Notable actors and actresses have appeared at the Theatre, including John Arnatt, Nigel Davenport and David McCallum. On 31 March 1958, Diana Rigg made her stage debut here in 'The Passing of the Third Floor Back'. In 1982, the Civic became the Pomegranate Theatre, named after the pomegranate tree that appears on Chesterfield's coat of arms.
Today the Pomegranate Theatre presents a programme of professional touring drama, music, dance, and a very popular star studded pantomime. In addition, the Pomegranate Theatre, presents Pomegranate Screenings - an ongoing programme of latest films and satellite broadcasts using state of the art cinema equipment.
Covid safety measures have been put in place for the Theatre to keep visitors, staff and actors safe.
Prices vary according to performances
- Other Awards Self-assessed Accessibility Information 2020
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- COVID-19 measures in place
- Parking with charge
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
* Open for events and performances only.
The Box Office is open an hour before each performance for ticket collection and door sales. Alternatively you can purchase tickets from the Box Office at the Visitor Information Centre in Rykneld Square (Currently open Monday - Saturday, 9.30am-3pm) or call 01246 345222 or visit www.chesterfieldtheatres.co.uk
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good45
- becx_shemChesterfield, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely time out with family, some normality after the last 18 months of uncertainty with Covid and lockdowns.Tuesday, 7th December 2021The Beauty and the beast panto was brilliant, especially Andrew Fleming for comedy role of Philippe Philoppe. He absolutely smashed it, excellent impersonator and so funny. The theatre is a beautiful... Read full review
- Alan AChesterfield, United KingdomTheatre with character.Thursday, 17th February 2022We had circle seats for The Buddy Holly Show. Comfortable, clean & warm throughout the show. Staff very cheerful & also helpful. The stairs are quite steep & if you have mobility issues this... Read full review
- merrif2018Chimney Rock, North CarolinaTrip Type:Family❤️Monday, 27th June 2022We watched a top gun movie and absolutely loved it! Great atmosphere! My husband and I both had a beer and my son had a soda. Audio was great! Visuals were great as well. Read full review
Map & Directions
The Pomegranate Theatre is in Chesterfield town centre and there are many nearby car parks. The directions below are to the nearest car parks.
From North/South Leave M1 at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At roundabout select middle lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select right hand lane and take 2nd exit (Lordsmill Street). Keep to right hand lane and go straight on through traffic lights and round back of 'Crooked Spire' Church. Select right hand lane and go straight on at 1st and 2nd set of traffic lights, approaching large roundabout with car park in middle. Keep to right hand lane and turn right into car park (Holywell Cross).
From East Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway, then follow route from North/South.
From West Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Matalan) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep to left lane and, at traffic lights, go straight on. At next roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (Lordsmill Street). Select right hand lane, then follow route from North/South.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station Chesterfield, 5 minute walk away
Any bus to Chesterfield town centre