Due to the latest Coronavirus restrictions the Pomegranate Theatre will be closed from Thursday 5 November until Wednesday 2 December.
Chesterfield's theatre opened in 1949 in the Stephenson Memorial Hall which was built in 1879 as a tribute to the 'Father of the Railways' George Stephenson who had moved to Chesterfield in 1838. More than 100 years later, the Hall was home to a Cinema Company. Following its closure, a public appeal raised £5,000 and the Hall became the Civic Theatre.
Notable actors and actresses have appeared at the Theatre, including John Arnatt, Nigel Davenport and David McCallum. On 31 March 1958, Diana Rigg made her stage debut here in 'The Passing of the Third Floor Back'.
In 1982, the Civic became the Pomegranate Theatre, named after the pomegranate tree that appears on Chesterfield's coat of arms. Today, in addition to the stage performances, there are shows in the Bar including jazz nights and craft demonstrations. The Theatre also goes out into Queen's Park in Chesterfield town centre once a year for 'Pomegranate in the Park'. Productions have included 'Taming of the Shrew' and 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' performed by open air specialists Oddsocks.
The main stage hosts drama, comedy, ballet and musicals from both professional companies and amateur societies but, without doubt the favourite every year is the Pantomime.
Prices vary according to performances
- Other Awards Self-assessed Accessibility Information 2020
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- Parking with charge
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
* Open for events and performances only.
The Box Office is open an hour before each performance for ticket collection and door sales. Alternatively you can purchase tickets from the Box Office at the Visitor Information Centre in Rykneld Square (Open Monday - Saturday, 9.30am-6pm) or call 01246 345222 or visit www.chesterfieldtheatres.co.uk
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good44
- 289philhHeanor, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesUnderwhelming experience at the Pomegranate TheatreThursday, 5th March 2020Visited the Pomegranate Theatre to the fantastic Clinton Baptiste show, I understand the venue is old and a traditional building but some very basic upgrades could surely be incorporated into the... Read full review
- Janet71sykesChesterfield, United KingdomCinemaSunday, 15th March 2020Car parking outside for the disabled or many carparks around if not. Beautiful old theatre. We went to see a film. Cheaper than the cinema. There are a few steps to the bar or you can avoid the area... Read full review
- sophieh7230Chesterfield, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessPerforming At The PomegranateSaturday, 3rd October 2020I have performed at the Pomegranate twice now - my most recent one being this February for Our House - and both times have been incredible. The show ran smoothly and the venue was always very clean... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Pomegranate Theatre is in Chesterfield town centre and there are many nearby car parks. The directions below are to the nearest car parks.
From North/South Leave M1 at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At roundabout select middle lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select right hand lane and take 2nd exit (Lordsmill Street). Keep to right hand lane and go straight on through traffic lights and round back of 'Crooked Spire' Church. Select right hand lane and go straight on at 1st and 2nd set of traffic lights, approaching large roundabout with car park in middle. Keep to right hand lane and turn right into car park (Holywell Cross).
From East Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway, then follow route from North/South.
From West Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Matalan) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep to left lane and, at traffic lights, go straight on. At next roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (Lordsmill Street). Select right hand lane, then follow route from North/South.
Public Transport Directions
Accessible by Public Transport: Chesterfield station is 0 miles away.