AboutTreak Cliff Cavern is an Underground Wonderland of stalactites and stalagmites, rocks, minerals and fossils, and Home to the unique Blue John Stone!
With an App previously downloaded onto your Smart phone, you follow a marked route through the cavern, with the information delivered to your phone via Blue tooth beacons as you move along.
Our tours are designed to meet the new Good To Go standard introduced by Visit Britain after the Corona-virus lock-down. Entry times and online booking limit slots to your group only, so you can have peace of mind you can be socially distanced, enabling you to focus on the stunning cave and the great audio tour we have prepared. The walking tour lasts around 1 hour and there are opportunities to stop, take photographs and soak up the underground atmosphere. As you come out of the Cavern the view of Castleton and the Hope Valley stretches for 10 miles in front of you. This Experience includes time in the work shop where our crafts people will help you select and complete the process of shaping a Blue John Stone necklace.
Our small museum in the cavern entrance buildings houses a wealth of historic Blue John Stone treasures collected by the owners, and displayed at Treak Cliff Cavern for everyone to enjoy. Discover more about the formation, discovery and history of the Cavern and the family who care for it today. browse our shop to choose Blue John jewellery, and items made in our onsite workshops, or choose rocks and minerals from all over the world!
Our Cafe on the Cliff can only serve takeaway drinks and snacks at present due to the Covid 19 regulations, and is currently only open at weekends.
We’re located within some of the Peak District’s most beautiful countryside on some of the most popular Public Footpaths. You can incorporate a visit to us on the way to or from the amazing mountain of Mam Tor and its old Broken Road. Our local village of Castleton is just 1 mile away, with Peveril Castle, shops and amenities, plus the Peak District National Park Visitor Centre & museum.
Be aware we are on a steep hillside so there is no wheelchair access to or inside the Cavern, and some areas underground are low and narrow.
Take the Self Guided Audio Tour through the Underground first of all to discover all about Blue John Stone!
On your return to the Entrance Buildings you go into the Workshop to select a semi prepared piece of Blue John Stone. Our Craftsmen will show you how to rub it with different grades of abrasive paper until ready for the final stage. Then they will supervise while you polish it to a lovely shine, and attach a bail and leather cord. (Sterling silver chains are available to purchase for an additional charge, depending on length, weight, design etc.)Then you can try your necklace on and adjust the length to fit !!
Before you arrive, please search the Apple App store or Google Play store for the Treak Cliff App
1. down load the App
2. enter the App and go to Settings - the icon is 3 small bars usually in the top left or top right of the screen
3. select 'keep awake' or 'keep open' depending on the type of phone
4. turn on blue tooth
5. you can read about Treak Cliff Cavern in advance of your visit
REMEMBER you may want to bring a portable power bank, headphones or Bluetooth earpiece to use with your smartphone or tablet when you come to visit.
We look forward to welcoming you !!
Cancel within 14 days of the event and receive 100% refund. No refund within 14 days. In the unlikely scenario we have to cancel, you'll receive all your money back.
- Equipment Provided - Blue John Stone, materials and equipment
What to bring
What to bring
- Drink - Our Cafe opening hours are Seasonal, so check ahead to see if it will be open when you visit
- Food - Our Cafe opening hours are Seasonal, so check ahead to see if it will be open when you visit
- Warm Clothing - The temperature inside the Cavern is a constant 11 degrees Centigrade, which can feel very cold, or occasionally less cold compared with the outside seasonal temperature !!!
- Waterproofs - Water drips from the cavern ceilings all the time,but you should dress for the weather conditions at the time of your visit, because the Entrance is on a steep exposed hillside, 10 minutes climb from the car park.