Since first opening to visitors in 1780 the Heights of Abraham has remained one of the Peak District’s most appealing destinations where stunning natural beauty is matched by human achievement and where the historic blends seamlessly with the futuristic.
Today the Heights is rightly famous for its landmark cable car which provides a spectacular journey across the Derwent Valley.
At the summit people can experience a unique blend of attractions.
There are guided tours down the Great Masson Cavern where, from the glow of a single candle to the whole chamber being flooded with light, its million year history is revealed before exiting further up the hillside to enjoy the magnificent panorama from the Tinker’s Shaft viewing point. A virtual tour of the cavern is also available.
Exhibitions and films demonstrate why the Heights has been a favourite place to visit for many generations, there are also shops, play areas and numerous picnic spots to discover, and if you feel hungry the Vista Bar and Restaurant is a great place to eat, drink and enjoy stunning views in acres of beautiful woodland.
A unique hilltop Park set on top of a dramatic limestone gorge, amid great natural beauty. Journey in a state of the art cable car. Follow a guide underground to our spectacular showcaves. Explore over 60 acres of Wooded hillside.
Regular guided tours allow you to retrace the footsteps of the Miners underground, and experience the spectacular caverns they left behind.
- Regional Tourist Board Member
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
- French signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- German signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Italian signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Spanish signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Dogs accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Parking with charge - Pay and display car park in the village.
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
|Season (27 Mar 2017 - 5 Nov 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:30|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:30|
* Please check the website for current opening times.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good900
- LindiSueNorwich, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGood experienceTuesday, 25th April 2017Admission includes the cable car ride and entrance to the two caves. The caves were not the best I have visited but were made interesting by the guides. There were nice views from the top and... Read full review
- SpinkyminkyNottingham UkTrip Type:FamilyLots to do once you reach the topTuesday, 25th April 2017We were visiting the Heights of Abrahams at the weekend we just went on a bit of a whim, we were a little put off by the prices £16 for an adult we thought that was quite expensive but we through it... Read full review
- Graham BCorby, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery interesting tripMonday, 24th April 2017An interesting place to visit and to enjoy the views all round the site. The cable car ride is short but sweet, on the day we rode it there was a slight tech hick-up, but the guys kept the queue... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Heights of Abraham is located in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales in the village of Matlock Bath. Travelling by car it is situated on the A6, 18 miles north of Derby. It is signposted from M1 junction 28 and A6 approach roads. There are frequent rail services from Nottingham, Derby to Matlock Bath. The cable car is a 3 minute walk from the Station. Bus services are frequent to Matlock Bath.
Public Transport Directions
We are just a short walk (around 400m) from Matlock Bath station. There are hourly Monday to Saturday train services to Matlock Bath from Derby, Long Eaton, Beeston and Nottingham. On Sundays direct trains operate from Nottingham Beeston, Long Eaton and Derby every two hours.
COME BY TRAIN & SAVE 20%
There are frequent bus services to Matlock Bath from all the major surrounding towns and cities. Both services stop very close to our cable car Base Station.
The Transpeak High Peak Buses service running hourly between Derby and Manchester stopping right outside our entrance! Show your Transpeak ticket for a brilliant 20% off our Cable Car! Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Transpeak travel pass. Offer is valid for full paying Adult, Child and Senior. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
The Sixes 6.1 Trent Barton service running between Derby and Bakewell Use a Zigzag or Mango & SAVE 20%. Terms: Present your valid Zigzag Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Mango card. Offer is valid for full paying Adult, Child and Senior. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
Yourbus 110,111,140 & 141 service running from Matlock, Alfreton, Ripley and Ashbourne. Save 20% with bus ticket or Genie card. Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) or Genie Card. Offer is valid for full paying Adult, Child and Senior. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.