Take a cable car flight to the 60-acre hilltop park and experience a day full of history and adventure. Soak in the far-reaching views of the valley below and explore the heritage of Masson Hill and Matlock Bath through historic trails and exhibitions. Head underground on guided tours of two illuminated show caverns and learn tales of the past. Above ground, take a moment to relax in the café and restaurant overlooking the valley. New for 2022, willow sculptures by artist Caroline Gregson capture moments of Masson Hill, paused in time, plus a brand-new exhibition showcasing what visitors from the past 230 years would have worn on their day out.
There’s more to see and do than ever before at the award-winning Heights of Abraham…
Begin your day at the Heights of Abraham by taking a flight in one of the famous cable cars. Travel across the picturesque Derwent Valley in style and enjoy the views of Matlock Bath below. The journey takes you over 554ft upwards to the summit, 100ft above sea level.
It's not just the views from the cable car, there's a new view around every corner once you reach the summit. Experience the Peak District surrounding this special hilltop estate, with views of peaks and valleys everywhere you look.
Holding a 230-year story the Heights tells many unexpected tales of heritage and history. The estate first opened in 1787 and has been welcoming visitors ever since. With links to the industrial revolution, visits from royalty and a rich mining history, listen to the new self-guided audio tour through your mobile phone, to reveal history at your own pace.
Take a tour underground in the two famous show caverns. Follow one of the professional cavern guides deep into the hillside and learn tales of mining, history, geology, and tourism from those who know it best.
The Vista Restaurant and Terrace Café at the Heights of Abraham are almost 1000ft above sea level. The exclusive Vista balcony gives views for miles across the valley, a great place to soak up the surroundings while enjoying a freshly made meal, accompanied by a local ale or gin. Or take a light lunch with friends in the downstairs café, with far-reaching views to enjoy with a hot drink and a delicious cake.
Enjoy the wide-open space and relaxing atmosphere of the summit. Feel the Derbyshire air fill your lungs as you breathe the spectacular scenery in. Walk the woodland paths and heritage trails of those from the past, with the first trees of the pleasure garden planted in the 18th Century.
Let the kids loose on the two huge adventure playgrounds while you enjoy the views around you, with a locally made ice cream in hand!
New for 2022, willow sculptures by artist Caroline Gregson capture important moments of the history of the Heights of Abraham, paused in time. For the kids, take a walk down into the woodland and spot the 12 new butterflies in the treetops. A brand-new exhibition at the Heights of Abraham, A Mirror on the Past, is a walk through time and puts the focus on how the lives, and fashions, of visitors from the past 230-years differ to the modern visitor today. Fourteen delightfully dressed figures show what visitors of the past would have worn on their day out at the Heights of Abraham. Informative digital displays throughout the exhibition space give a glance into what life was like for the visitors from the past.
Access to everything at the Heights estate is included in the cable car ticket, giving you entry to fascinating exhibitions, historic buildings, spectacular viewpoints and more. Entry to all seasonal events is also granted.
Advanced booking is strongly recommended due to limited daily capacity. Book your tickets online at www.heightsofabraham.com.
Adults Online £23.00 At the Gate £24.00
Children (5 to 15 years) Online £15.00 At the Gate £15.50
Family Ticket (2 adults, 2 children) Online £69.00 At the Gate £71.00
Great value Annual Passes are also available to purchase on the website.
- Visit England VistEngland VAQAS Gold 2018
- Visit England VisitEngland Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2019
- Trip Advisor Awards Trip Advisor Travellers' Choice 2020
- Visit England VAQAS Gold 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Trip Advisor Awards 2022 Travellers' Choice - Tripadvisor 2022
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Autism Friendly
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Facilities for visually impaired
- Video/virtual tours
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Credit cards accepted (with charge)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Online booking only
- Outside seating
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
- French signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- German signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Spanish signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Parking with charge - Pay and display car park in the village.
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- WiFi or internet access
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Welcome Host
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
- Single sex groups welcomed
|Season (25 Mar 2022 - 6 Nov 2022)|
Open daily from 25th March to 6th November
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good1408
- Valkyrie1969Sheffield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA Great Attraction and Amazing ViewsMonday, 26th September 2022We really enjoyed our day at this attraction. The ride on the cable car was so scenic and the welcome by the performer representing Benjamin Bryan, the Victorian owner of the Heights was amazing. It... Read full review
- d123456789pBillingham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesToo expensiveWednesday, 28th September 2022Seen this so many times so felt compelled to visit now we were in the area. First impression was that 24 pounds per person was more than a little steep. Once up the top there is little there to see... Read full review
- nigelm776swanseaTrip Type:CouplesGreat ViewsWednesday, 28th September 2022Great Day out fantastic views awesome cable car ride Fantastic tour of cavern where lead was mined Great tour guides Well worth a visit Read full review
Map & Directions
The Heights of Abraham is located in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales in the village of Matlock Bath. Travelling by car it is situated on the A6, 18 miles north of Derby. It is signposted from M1 junction 28 and A6 approach roads. There are frequent rail services from Nottingham, Derby to Matlock Bath. The cable car is a 3 minute walk from the Station. Bus services are frequent to Matlock Bath.
Public Transport Directions
The Heights is just a short walk (around 400m) from Matlock Bath station. There are hourly Monday to Saturday train services to Matlock Bath from Derby. On Sundays direct trains operate from Nottingham Beeston, Long Eaton and Derby every two hours. Take the train and receive 20% off your Cable Car tickets!
Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) for the day of your visit. Offer is valid for full paying Adult or child. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
There are frequent bus services to Matlock Bath from all the major surrounding towns and cities. Both services stop very close to our cable car Base Station.
The Transpeak High Peak Buses service running hourly between Derby and Manchester stopping right outside our entrance! Show your Transpeak ticket for a brilliant 20% off our Cable Car! Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Transpeak travel pass. Offer is valid for full paying Adult or child. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
The Sixes 6.1 Trent Barton service running between Derby and Bakewell Use a Zigzag or Mango & SAVE 20%. Terms: Present your valid Zigzag Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Mango app. Offer is valid for full paying Adult or child. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- The Heights of Abraham