A unique and special day out. The Heights of Abraham 60-acre woodland estate was first opened to the public in 1787 as a "savage garden" constructed around Masson Hill overlooking the pretty town of Matlock Bath. The cable cars were added in 1984 to bring visitors across the Derwent valley and up to the Hilltop park.
Originally a lead mining site, in the late 1700's as the mining industry became less economical, the miners became cavern guides, and a whole visitor attraction was built around these popular tours. Cavern tours run continuously throughout the day for guests to learn about the history of mining in the area, dating back to the middle ages, and experience a day in the life of a 17th Century miner. All facilities and acess to the estate are included in your cable car ticket price.
A new self-guided audio tour is available, taking visitors across the Estate to learn more of the 230-year history of this fascinating place by downloading narrations via a mobile phone. (Free wifi is available throughout the site).
A small presentation theatre presents a film of the Masson Cavern tour for those who would rather not venture underground. The theatre also screens a short film about the installation of the cable cars. Other facilities include an exhibition about fossils found in the local area, the Long View Exhibition which explains the evolution of the Heights of Abraham estate over the centuries, and the Victoria Prospect Tower, a look out tower built by the lead miners in 1844.
There are playgrounds and picnic areas for family visitors as well as a Terrace café with undercover and outdoor seating. A licensed bar is located in the Vista Restaurant selling a wide range of wines, beers and spirits as well as local flavoured gins. The Rutland Tavern also sells local beers and ciders, and has a small beer garden. The Vista restaurant is a popular dining area, with table service and a menu of local and traditional dishes. Seating is available outside, inside and on covered terraces overlooking the Derwent Valley. Advanced booking is currently required for the restaurant. Go to the “Dine at the Heights” page for more information.
Live entertainment is presented on selected dates throughout the season. See the website "What's On" pages for the latest information.
Booking is strongly recommended and can be done via the website www.heightsofabraham.com
Open daily 10:00am - 4:30pm
Advanced booking is strongly recommended due to limited daily capacity. Book your tickets online at www.heightsofabraham.com.
Children (5 to 15 years) £14.00
Family Ticket (2 adults, 2 children) £65.00
Great value Annual Passes are also available to purchase on the website.
- Visit England VistEngland VAQAS Gold 2018
- Visit England VisitEngland Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2019
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Trip Advisor Awards Trip Advisor Travellers' Choice 2020
- Visit England VAQAS Gold 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Facilities for visually impaired
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Credit cards accepted (with charge)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Eat Out to Help Out
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Outside seating
- Queuing system
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Virtual menus
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
- French signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- German signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Italian signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Spanish signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
- Parking with charge - Pay and display car park in the village.
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- WiFi or internet access
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
* Open daily. Check the website for updated opening information.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2021
- Very Good1363
- anishapatel30You’re not missing out on muchSunday, 10th October 2021For a popular attraction like this one in Matlock, it should have a car park of its own. We had an afternoon slot, around 1pm and reached the nearest car park around 30mins before but it took us one... Read full review
- mavisc361onderful views.Monday, 11th October 2021Luckily had a beautiful day weather-wise.All the attendants were very friendly and helpful helping me into the cable cars ( my motorised scooter didn`t like the climbs), finding the best way for me... Read full review
- binkydozerLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExpensive for what it is. Skip.Saturday, 16th October 2021Good cable car ride. Fair showcave with a great tour. Second cave pretty rubbish with a rubbish animatronic miner that just covered the same ground as the first tour. Then a tour guide repeated what... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Heights of Abraham is located in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales in the village of Matlock Bath. Travelling by car it is situated on the A6, 18 miles north of Derby. It is signposted from M1 junction 28 and A6 approach roads. There are frequent rail services from Nottingham, Derby to Matlock Bath. The cable car is a 3 minute walk from the Station. Bus services are frequent to Matlock Bath.
Public Transport Directions
The Heights is just a short walk (around 400m) from Matlock Bath station. There are hourly Monday to Saturday train services to Matlock Bath from Derby, Long Eaton, Beeston and Nottingham. On Sundays direct trains operate from Nottingham Beeston, Long Eaton and Derby every two hours. Take the train and receive 20% off your Cable Car tickets!
Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) for the day of your visit. Offer is valid for full paying Adult or child. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
There are frequent bus services to Matlock Bath from all the major surrounding towns and cities. Both services stop very close to our cable car Base Station.
The Transpeak High Peak Buses service running hourly between Derby and Manchester stopping right outside our entrance! Show your Transpeak ticket for a brilliant 20% off our Cable Car! Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Transpeak travel pass. Offer is valid for full paying Adult or child. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
The Sixes 6.1 Trent Barton service running between Derby and Bakewell Use a Zigzag or Mango & SAVE 20%. Terms: Present your valid Zigzag Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Mango app. Offer is valid for full paying Adult or child. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- The Heights of Abraham