A unique and special day out. The Heights of Abraham 60 acre woodland estate was first opened to the public in 1787 as a "savage garden" constructed around Masson Hill overlooking the pretty town of Matlock Bath. The cable cars were added in 1984 to bring visitors across the Derwent valley and up to the Hilltop park.
Originally a lead mining site, in the late 1700's as the mining industry became less economical, the miners became cavern guides, and a whole visitor attraction was built around these popular tours. Cavern tours still take place throughout the day in the Great Masson Cavern and the Rutland Cavern, and exhibitions, a fine restaurant and cafe and other facilities have been added to the summit in recent years. All tours and facilities are included in your cable car ticket price.
A self-guided audio tour was also added in 2020, taking visitors across the Estate to discover seven magnificent viewpoints and learn more of the history of this fascinating place by downloading narrations via a mobile phone. (Free wifi is available throughout the site).
A small presentation theatre presents a film of the Masson Cavern tour for those who would rather not venture underground. The theatre also screens a short film about the installation of the cable cars. Other facilities include a photography gallery, an exhibition about fossils found in the local area, the Long View Exhibition which explains the evolution of the Heights of Abraha estate over the centuries, and the Victoria Prospect Tower, a look out tower built by the lead miners in the early 19th century.
There are playgrounds and picnic areas for family visitors as well as a Terrace café with undercover and outdoor seating. A licensed bar is located in the Vista Restaurant selling a wide range of wines, beers and spirits as well as local flavoured gins. The Rutland Tavern also sells local beers and ciders, and has a small beer garden. The Vista restaurant is a popular dining area, with table service and a menu of local and traditional dishes. Seating is available outside, inside and on covered terraces overlooking the Derwent Valley. Advanced booking is currently required for the restaurant. Go to our “Dine at the Heights” page for more information.
Live entertainment is presented on selected dates throughout the season. See the website "What's On" pages for the latest information.
ADVANCED ONLINE BOOKING IS CURRENTLY ESSENTIAL via the website www.heightsofabraham.com
Open daily until 1st November 2020. 10am until 4.30pm, later during school holidays.
Advanced booking is essential due to limited daily capacity. Book your tickets online at www.heightsofabraham.com .
Children (5 to 15 years) £13
Seniors (over 60) £16
Family tickets and annual season passes are also available.
- Visit England VistEngland VAQAS Gold 2018
- Visit England VisitEngland Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2019
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
- Trip Advisor Awards TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice 2020
- Visit England VAQAS Gold 2019
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Facilities for visually impaired
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Credit cards accepted (with charge)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Eat Out to Help Out
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- One way system
- Online booking only
- Outside seating
- Queuing system
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Virtual menus
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups
- French signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- German signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Italian signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
- Spanish signs/guides - Please ask at ticket office
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
- Parking with charge - Pay and display car park in the village.
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- WiFi or internet access
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
|Season (21 Mar 2020 - 1 Nov 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00|
* Open daily from 18th July to 1st of November 2020 (10am to 4.30pm, later during school holidays). Please check the website for further information, special events and prices. We shall re-open in February 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good1322
- NG0901Trip Type:CouplesLocal visitTuesday, 27th October 2020Although it was a very rainy day we managed both cave tours a watched a couple of the videos. The cable car ride was enjoyable, but due to the mist, no view. The guides were very knowledgeable and... Read full review
- Emmalou69Huddersfield, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyA bit pricy!Wednesday, 28th October 2020Think a little on the pricy side for what’s there , cable cars ok for kids.. something different.. we have a dog and it was freezing so not much can do indoors with the dog! Cant take dogs into any... Read full review
- candourTrip Type:FamilyWell loved by usWednesday, 28th October 2020Great local tourist attraction and one of our favourites. Everything feels so magical from the cable car ride up to the fab playground and the epic views. Lots to do for a family with kids and a... Read full review
Map & Directions
The Heights of Abraham is located in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales in the village of Matlock Bath. Travelling by car it is situated on the A6, 18 miles north of Derby. It is signposted from M1 junction 28 and A6 approach roads. There are frequent rail services from Nottingham, Derby to Matlock Bath. The cable car is a 3 minute walk from the Station. Bus services are frequent to Matlock Bath.
Public Transport Directions
We are just a short walk (around 400m) from Matlock Bath station. There are hourly Monday to Saturday train services to Matlock Bath from Derby, Long Eaton, Beeston and Nottingham. On Sundays direct trains operate from Nottingham Beeston, Long Eaton and Derby every two hours.
COME BY TRAIN & SAVE 20% (You must book online in advance to qualify for this discount. See website "Preferential rates" for details)
There are frequent bus services to Matlock Bath from all the major surrounding towns and cities. Both services stop very close to our cable car Base Station.
The Transpeak High Peak Buses service running hourly between Derby and Manchester stopping right outside our entrance! Show your Transpeak ticket for a brilliant 20% off our Cable Car! Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Transpeak travel pass. Offer is valid for full paying Adult, Child and Senior. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
The Sixes 6.1 Trent Barton service running between Derby and Bakewell Use a Zigzag or Mango & SAVE 20%. Terms: Present your valid Zigzag Ticket(s) for the day of your visit or Mango card. Offer is valid for full paying Adult, Child and Senior. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
Yourbus 110,111,140 & 141 service running from Matlock, Alfreton, Ripley and Ashbourne. Save 20% with bus ticket or Genie card. Terms: Present your valid Ticket(s) or Genie Card. Offer is valid for full paying Adult, Child and Senior. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- The Heights of Abraham