Great British Car Journey & Drive Dad’s Car
Located in Ambergate, Derbyshire, Great British Car Journey is a brand new visitor attraction which opened in May 2021.
Boasting a collection of 150 modern British classics, including one of the last cars to roll off the Longbridge production line, Great British Car Journey tells the story of the rise and fall of the British motoring industry from the early 1900s to the turn of the century.
Beginning with the Austin Seven and ending with a McLaren 650S, the Great British Journey features all the classics to the lesser-known vehicles, like the Gilbern and Austin Atlantic.
Each vehicle tells a story – from Elton John’s Bentley to the car that was used to chauffeur British High Court judge Sir Fenton Atkinson during the high-profile trial of the Moors murderers,
Featuring more than 30 British car marques, visitors are guided around the exhibition with a unique handheld audio visual device transporting them through the decades of British car design and manufacturing.
Entrance to the Great British Car Journey is £16 per adult, £14 for Concessions £7.50 per child and £40 for families (2 adults and up to 3 children)
In addition to the exhibition and museum, Great British Car Journey features a unique onsite driving experience – Drive Dad’s Car.
From just £49.00, Drive Dad’s Car gives you the opportunity to get behind the wheel of 30 of the most popular cars ever made in Britain, including the Sunbeam Rapier Convertible, a rare original Avenger and Rolls Royce Silver Spirit to the Ford Capri, Reliant Robin and, of course, the original MK1 Mini.
Free entry to the Great British Car Journey for the driver is included with every Drive Dad’s Car experience purchased. Guests receive discounted entry too!
Purchase your voucher for Drive Dad's Car here- Home - Drive Dad's Car (drivedadscar.com)
Entrance to the Great British Car Journey is £16 for Adults, £14 for Concessions, £7.50 for Children and a Family ticket is £40 (2 Adults and up to 3 children)
- Trip Advisor Awards 2022 Travellers' Choice - Tripadvisor 2022
- Derbyshire Awards Peak District & Derbyshire - Tourism Awards 2022 - Experience - Bronze Award 2022
- Derbyshire Awards Peak District & Derbyshire - Tourism Awards 2022 - New Tourism Business - Silver Award 2022
- Derbyshire Awards Peak District & Derbyshire - Tourism Awards 2022 - Tourism Achiever - Gold Award 2022
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Wheelchairs available
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Children welcome
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Free Parking
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
* We are open 7 days a week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (last entry 4pm)
Pre-booking is advised, but entrance can be paid for upon arrival.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2022
- Very Good18
- Elizabeth SNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomA wonderful day out!Wednesday, 3rd August 2022We can thoroughly recommend the Great British Car Journey for a wonderful day out. A huge collection of British made cars, all in tip top condition. We were given headsets with as much information... Read full review
- carolynsO4893RFA wonderful 'journey'Friday, 5th August 2022What a fabulous experience - from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. Great bit of banter with the gentleman selling the tickets and also with the staff in the café. Everything was... Read full review
- welshman188United KingdomGreat museum with plenty for both adults and childrenMonday, 15th August 2022We were on holiday in the area and had a cracking afternoon out and this museum. They have a wide range of British built cars all in excellent condition and a wealth of information is available. On... Read full review
Map & Directions
From the M1: Take the A38 towards Derby and after approx. 6 miles turn onto the A610 towards Ambergate. Turn Right after approx. 4 miles onto the A6 (opposite The Hurt Arms) and we are Half a mile on the LEFT.
SAT NAV: Postcode is DE56 2HE