AboutSt Mary and All Saints, the Crooked Spire Church, was built in the late 13th Century and finished around 1360. It’s the largest church in Derbyshire. The Spire stands 228 feet from the ground and leans 9 feet 5 inches from its true centre. The Spire was built straight and the reason that it 'twisted' may be the amount of green timber used during its construction. Then 32 tons of lead tiles were placed on top – enough to bend anyone’s back!
Daily tours of the Tower to the base of the 'Crooked Spire' take place Monday to Saturday from Easter to Christmas (weather and staff permitting). Tours will be advertised on a yellow notice just inside the Church entrance. This shows the time of departure and the tour takes about 40-45 minutes. In addition, regular tours take place on all summer Bank Holiday Mondays.
The Friends of Chesterfield Parish Church is a charity which helps to care for and preserve the town’s famous ‘Crooked Spire’ Church. To find out more about them, visit their website – www.friendsofthecrookedspirechesterfield.co.uk.
8 am Holy Communion (said)
10.30 am Sung Mass
6.30 pm Evensong
12.15 pm Monday/Friday
9.30 am Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday
5.30 pm Thursday
Matins are said daily at 9 am, and Evensong
at 5 pm
Refreshments and toilets in the Saints Parish Centre next door to the Church.
Admission to Church free, donations gratefully accepted
Trip up Spire - Adult £6.00, Child £4.00
- Other Awards Self-assessed Accessibility Information 2020
- Disabled access - Access for wheelchair users to the Church but not the Tower
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- Parking with charge - Nearest parking St Mary's Gate Car Park
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
- Smoking not allowed
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
|Season (23 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:00||- 16:15|
* Sunday at service times only.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good203
- ithurbonGillingham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting historyThursday, 20th August 2020A large church for the town, but with excellent architecture, including the famous crooked spire. Worth a visit inside as well. Read full review
- Gypsy60_11Houghton-le-Spring, United KingdomCrooked spire closedSunday, 6th September 2020Have visited the outside of church to view the crooked spire since mid 1950s i have always been fascinated by it The interior is well worth the visit entrance was at side door becausethey were... Read full review
- SGPeteTatsfield, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelUninspiringFriday, 18th September 2020The twisted spire for which the town is renown is truly spectacular and can be seen from miles around, However the interior is nothing special. Read full review
Map & Directions
The Crooked Spire Church is in Chesterfield town centre but has no car park of its own so the directions below are to the nearest town centre car parks.
Leave M1 at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At traffic light controlled roundabout select middle lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select middle lane and take 2nd exit (Lordsmill Street). Select left lane and take first left (Beetwell Street). Multi-storey car park on right hand side.
For surface car parks: at roundabout select middle lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select right lane and take 2nd exit (Lordsmill Street). Keep in right hand lane and go straight on. At traffic lights turn right (Spa Lane), take 1st left then left or right into car parks.
Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway, then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and, at traffic lights, go straight on. At next roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (Lordsmill Street), then follow route from North/South for either multi-storey or surface car parks.
Accessible by Public Transport: Chesterfield station is 0 miles away.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station Chesterfield, 10 minutes walk away
Any bus to Chesterfield town centre
Attractions Self Assessment
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.