AboutChatsworth, home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, is set in the heart of the Peak District in Derbyshire, on the banks of the river Derwent. Home of the Cavendish family since the 1550s, it has evolved through the centuries to reflect the tastes, passions and interests of succeeding generations.
Chatsworth House has over 30 rooms to explore, from the magnificent Painted Hall, to the family-used chapel, regal State Rooms and beautiful Sculpture Gallery. Chatsworth also houses the Devonshire Collection, one of Europe's most significant art collections, which is continually added to, encompassing Old Masters to contemporary ceramics and artefacts from Ancient Egypt to cutting edge modern sculpture.
Each year Chatsworth hosts a number of special events including the Horse Trials, Country Fair and Christmas market; and from November the lower floors of the house are transformed for the annual Christmas displays. In addition to the busy events programme, each year Chatsworth also hosts a number of special exhibitions included with admission. In addition to the headline exhibition, every autumn the Chatsworth Garden hosts Sotheby's Beyond Limits sculpture exhibition, as well as a rolling programme of showcasing Old Master Drawings which continues through the year.
The estate also offers holiday cottages, hotels, shops and restaurants, including the award winning Chatsworth Estate Farm shop in the village of Pilsley, approximately 1.5 miles from Chatsworth House.
105 acres of stunning gardens, miles of footpaths, extravagant water features, outdoor art exhibitions, surprises at every turn, rose, cottage, sensory and kitchen gardens, and magnificent views of the park.
Our shops have a wide selection of beautiful and exclusive products inspired by different aspects of Chatsworth. The five gift shops provide hours of delight and retail therapy.
Farmyard and Adventure Playground
In our working farmyard you can meet and learn about our friendly animals, not to mention milking demonstrations, trailer rides, a fun-packed adventure playground and free seasonal activities.
Offering family friendly food with freshly made sandwiches, cakes and a range of pasties, you'll find everything you need to refuel during a fun filled day on the farm.
Better access for all for visitors to Chatsworth House itself:
Chatsworth has always prided itself on the welcome we offer all visitors. Now we are able to offer full lift access to all floors of the historic building for the first time, ensuring that visitors using wheelchairs are able to share the same experience as other visitors, and see everything the house has to offer. The Chatsworth team are always ready to help you plan your visit; call us on 01246 565300 to ensure you have the access support you need
For details on admission prices and parking, please visit http://www.chatsworth.org/book-tickets-and-prices
- Green Tourism Green Tourism Gold Award 2016
- Visit England VisitEngland Destination Spa 2016
- Trip Advisor Awards TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame 2016
- Visit England VistEngland VAQAS 2016
- Other Awards Historic Houses Association Member 2016
- Other Awards The Treasure Houses of England 2016
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- French signs/guides
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Gift shop
- Smoking not allowed
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- On-site catering
- Picnic site
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Wheelchairs available
* Opening 19th March 2016 -3rd January 2017 see website for times
Last entry 4.30pm
Please note Closed on 24, 25, 26 December 2015 and 1 January 2016.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good1174
- trumelvanSheffieldTrip Type:CouplesBest place to visit in the UKWednesday, 18th January 2017On my doorstep and is an excellent day out, I have attended the horse trials, just for walks, afternoon tea, country fairs, the gardens, open air plays- fabulous day, afternoon or evening spent each... Read full review
- crawford533Abbots Bromley, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat family day outTuesday, 17th January 2017House was beautifully decorated for Christmas, with nutcracker theme, first time visiting so really enjoyed the house, also visited the play area as we took out 9 and 11 year olds, they also enjoyed... Read full review
- Tracey CStockport, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery grand!Monday, 16th January 2017Nipped here on the way back to Manchester from Sheffield and had a lovely couple of hours. House & garden are closed for the Winter, as well as part of the restaurant, but for £4 car parking, we felt... Read full review
Map & Directions
Chatsworth is 8 miles north of Matlock off the B6012. From M1 take A617 to Chesterfield. From Chesterfield follow signs for Chatsworth A619. Continue for 8 miles through the village of Baslow. Pass Cavendish Hotel on left, at roundabout, take 1st exit signed Chatsworth. Follow road for approx 1½ miles to Chatsworth Estate. Cross cattle grid and take next left to Chatsworth House.
The nearest railway station is Chesterfield, which is 10 miles away.