Carsington Sports & Leisure Ltd is a watersports centre based at Carsington Water, one of the largest reservoirs in the UK. We are able to offer a variety of watersports activities as well as cycle hire and fly fishing from boat only.
Whether you are after an introductory session in windsurfing, sailing, stand up paddleboarding or kayaking or a more advanced lesson to perfect your technique, we have something to suit you. A great activity for families and groups is to paddle in a canoe or row in a rowing boat around our sheltered bay area where you can also hire sit on top kayaks and the extremely popular stand up paddle boards. You can also gain access to the water with your own craft, you will have to pay a launch fee and have your own insurance, check out our website for more details. The watersports facilities are open everyday from mid March - November and and open only at weekend during the winter months. We are however open all year round for cycle hire and offer a full range of off road bikes, as well as electric bikes, children's buggies, tag-a-longs and child seats.
Carsington Water offers fly fishing at its best. Its natural beauty, crystal clear waters and stunning fish combine to make the perfect venue for all anglers. Fly fishing is from boats only which gives you an excellent opportunity to explore the 740 acres of open water. The flying fishing season is from mid March to November each year.
We are open seven days a week, 363 days a year (closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day) from 10am until dusk depending on the season.
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- Picnic site
- Children welcome - Please note our tuition sessions and birthday parties are available for children 8 years upwards. We do have facilities for smaller children in rowing boats and canoes as long as we have a life jacket to fit. We also have childrens attachments for our bikes.
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for corporate hospitality - Conference facilities can be booked through the STW Visitors centre, call 03306780701 to enquire
- Parking with charge
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Telephone (public)
- Accessibility of route - Family friendly cycle route around the reservior.
- Description of route - Limestone route with some hills, lots of signage to assist around track.
- Length of route (miles) - 3 mile and 8 mile routes around the reservior
- Typical duration of route - 2 hours will normally be a sufficient amount of time to cycle around the reservior. You may choose to take longer if you have small children or wish to picnic on the way.
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
|Season (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good8
- 777philmSurrey, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayGreat place poor serviceThursday, 29th October 2020We loved cycling round the lake and up to the High Peak Trail where we visited the old railway winding engine. Great views and recommended. The cycle hire was poor. The bikes were quite poorly... Read full review
- janbO2815RRRawmarsh, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCycling great, water sports not so muchWednesday, 2nd June 2021We came last year and cycle hire was great however the board paddling hire not so much, the staff was rude and made us feel like we were a problem that we wanted to hire a board for paddling. There... Read full review
- ElizinishargyBallywalter, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyCycle hireTuesday, 27th July 2021As a family of 4 we enjoyed cycling round the reservoir. We hired bikes for 3 hours but should have booked for 2 as we were back in 1.5hours. An enjoyable afternoon. Read full review
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is M1. Take the A52 to Ashbourne, then the B5035 to Carsington Water.