This hilltop castle was built as a fashionable retreat for 17th-Century courtiers to entertain influential guests. Now its reputation for revelry lives on as we entertain you and your family.
Every inch a lavish party palace, where once moustached gentlemen caroused alongside bejewelled ladies. Enjoy the labyrinth of rooms, carved marble fireplaces, beautifully painted ceilings and richly coloured wall paintings.
Outside head up to walk the walls surrounding the fountain garden or wander the romantic ruined terrace range.
The Riding school, where one-time owner William Cavendish trained his horses, is amongst the finest in the country. Try to time your visit to enjoy a display of Cavalier horsemanship.
Kids can grab a multimedia guide jam-packed with fun games, bite-sized information and extra insights. They can dress up in costumes and take to the stage in a room dedicated to theatrics. Or let them run riot in our children’s play area, built like a mini Little Castle.
You don’t need to book your ticket in advance, (please see our website for prices) but you will always get the best price and guaranteed entry by booking online ahead of your visit. If you are a Member and wish to book, your ticket is still free.
- Other Awards Self-assessed Accessibility Information 2020
- Other Awards English Heritage 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for hearing impaired
- Facilities for visually impaired
- Wheelchairs available
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Baby changing facilities
- Children welcome
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Guided tours for groups - Must be pre-booked
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Free Parking
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Smoking not allowed
- English Heritage Property
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted
* Please see our website for opening times and events
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good501
- N3300PMwendylAweaomeMonday, 19th September 2022The drive up to the castle gives an idea of what to expect. Breathtaking Definitely make sure you take a guided tour, the guides are very knowledgable and make the facts interedting for all aged Read full review
- StautoRealGungadeanCaboolture, AustraliaTrip Type:Solo travelGorgeous views fit for a music video.Saturday, 24th September 2022* I was here in August 2017 but I can’t set the review date that far back. Bolsover castle is an incredible place like nowhere I’d been before. The views are spectacular the whole place is just an... Read full review
- BrettgrantSheffield, England, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSuperbMonday, 26th September 2022I've been here a few times, and always find it interesting, with special activities to do on bank holidays and other occasions. The staff and volunteers are helpful, and the guided tours are of real... Read full review
Map & Directions
From North (follow brown signs) Leave M1 motorway at junction 29A and take 1st exit off roundabout (Markham Road). At next roundabout take 3rd exit (Markham Lane). Follow road to next roundabout and take 3rd exit (Markham Lane). At next roundabout take 2nd exit (A632). Follow road for approx 1 mile and, at roundabout, take 2nd exit (A632). Follow road for just under a mile into Bolsover and take right turn (Castle Street, brown signpost for Castle). Follow road to left hand bend and Castle is on right. Car parking available close to Castle entrance. From South (follow brown signs) Leave M1 motorway at junction 29A and take 3rd exit off roundabout (Markham Road). Follow road under M1 and, at roundabout go straight on. At next roundabout take 3rd exit (Markham Lane), then follow route from North. From East Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway. At roundabout take 4th exit (M1 North). Leave M1 at next junction (29A), then follow route from South From West Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Matalan) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and, at traffic lights go straight on. At roundabout select middle lane and take 2nd exit (A632). Follow road, going straight on at traffic lights, for about 1 mile and, at traffic lights (Royal Hospital) go straight on. Follow road, going straight on at mini roundabout, for approx 1¼ miles to traffic lights and go straight on. At roundabout take 3rd exit (A632). Follow road for just under a mile into Bolsover and take right turn (Castle Street, brown signpost for Castle). Follow road to left hand bend and Castle is on right. Car parking available close to Castle entrance.
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.