Ashbourne Cycle Routes - Manifold Valley, Hills and Dales
Cycle through traditional villages and hilly limestone countryside. This route is available to download as a PDF and GPX file at the bottom of this page.
Start/End Point: Parsley Hay Cycle Hire SK17 0DG
Distance: 33.5km/ 21 miles
Ascent: 850m/2789 ft
55% road/45% trail
Cafes: Wetton, Wetton Mill, Hulme End,
Hartington, Parsley Hay
Pubs: Milldale, Wetton, Hulme End, Hartington
1. From Parsley Hay car park turn left onto trail and shortly afterwards take the right fork where the trail splits. Continue to car park at former Alsop station.
2. Leave the trail here and cross the A515 (take care, busy road) onto an unnamed country lane. Descend a steep hill to a T-junction. Turn right and descend steeply to cross the river bridge.
3. Turn left to Milldale. Follow road through Milldale then up a gentle hill past the car park.
4. At a junction by the Watts Russell pub turn left to Wetton and stay on this road uphill through Wetton, avoiding all side turns. Pass the Olde Royal Oak pub and cafe, then turn right at end of village. Descend to Wetton Mill.
5. Turn right onto the 3 tonne weight-limited road. Pass the cafe at Wetton Mill and go through a tunnel (lights needed, beware cars), then continue straight ahead on a (mostly) traffic free trail.
6. At Hulme End visitor centre/café, turn right onto road initially following NCN Route 549 then remain on B5054 to Hartington.
7. In Hartington turn left and pass duck pond on gated lane to Pilsbury (beware cattle grids). There’s a very steep ascent after the sixth gate then a gentle descent to a crossroads. Continue straight ahead on Route 549.
8. Just before a bridge over the road, fork left and go up a steep path to join the Tissington Trail. Turn right to Parsley Hay cycle hire centre.
This route was developed as part of the Pedal Peak for Business initiative, funded by the European Regional Development Fund.