Ashbourne Cycle Routes - Ashbourne and Villages
Type:Road Cycle Route
Explore rolling countryside taking in the Georgian architecture of Ashbourne and visit traditional estate villages. This route is available to download as a PDF and GPX file at the bottom of this page.
Start/End Point: Ashbourne Cycle Hire car park (on Tissington Trail) DE6 2AA
93% road/7% BW
Pubs: Ashbourne, Wyaston, Shirley, Osmaston
1. Head down Tissington Trail through tunnel to Ashbourne (and follow NCN 68 signs all the way to Rodsley village). Head through the car park to a mini roundabout by medical centre.
2. Turn left, then right at the T-junction. Take care busy road.
3. Turn left onto Lodge Ave, left at T-junction onto Highfield Rd, continue straight ahead (still on Highfield Rd) as major road bends left, then immediately right onto cycleway. Fork left onto steep and sustained uphill.
4. Exit onto cul-de-sac turning circle. Turn right at the end of Forshaw Close then left at the end of Duncombe Drive. Turn right at the roundabout. Past school drop steeply under A52 bridge.
5. After roughly 2km turn right at T-junction. Pass the Shire Horse public house and enter Wyaston.
6. Turn left towards Rodsley. Take care on the final descent into Rodsley.
7. Turn left to Shirley (NCN 68). Head uphill and pass the Saracens Head public house. As the road bends sharp right; fork left onto a dead-end lane.
8. Head left of farmhouse, then almost straight ahead through Osmaston Estate to a junctiom by the village duckpond.
9. Turn right towards Ashbourne. Pass the Shoulder of Mutton public house. Turn right by the church.
10. Cross over the busy A52 (take care) into Ladyhole Lane.
11. Turn left towards Moorend then continue straight ahead towards Ashbourne to pass through the “Hole-in-the-wall”. Descend steeply to the A517 junction. STOP! Cross with care over onto Corley Lane.
12.Descend steeply to a sharp bend left. Stay left towards Kniveton. Turn left at the T-junction, then descend to Ashbourne Green.
13. Turn left onto B5035. Continue straight ahead on major road where through traffic turns left onto Cockayne Ave (Beware emerging traffic).
14. Turn left then immediately right across the busy Buxton Road onto Lodge Lane. This becomes Dovehouse Green at a bend. Rise up to the next bend, turn left and descend back to the start.
This route was developed as part of the Pedal Peak for Business initiative, funded by the European Regional Development Fund.