AboutThis beginners navigation training course is ideal for complete beginners and those wanting to refresh their existing skills.
You will learn the basics necessary to navigate on paths with a map and compass, enabling you to have the confidence to start exploring the great outdoors. The course will provide you with the time to practise your new skills and the time will be spent in the outdoors with a map and compass around Edale in Derbyshire. Initially the course starts in the valley on easy terrain and will then usually progress onto rougher and slightly more complex moorland.
Our maximum group size is currently 6.
* Understanding maps - Scales, Symbols, Rights of Way, Contours
* Distances - Measuring and Estimating, Pacing and Timing
* The Compass - introduction & simple bearings
* Setting a map (with and without a compass)
* Basic navigation strategies - The 5 D's: Distance, Direction, Description, Duration, Danger
During the training you will be walking both on and off paths. The morning is likely to take place in the valley on a mixture of good tracks and smaller footpaths and also off paths across grassy fields. In the afternoon we will most likely head up towards Kinder Scout which can be rough in places and includes 1 fairly long hill. The hill up to Kinder is a steady climb of about 400m (1300ft). On Kinder the terrain is open moorland with heather and rough grass. At any time of year there are likely to be some muddy sections and the path becomes rougher and a little rocky in places. When we leave the paths on Kinder the ground is very uneven with potential for hidden bumps and holes under the vegetation.
Further details and a recommended gear list will be sent to you after booking. You can also **[visit our website for full details](https://www.myguidedwalks.co.uk/Navigation-Training-Peak-District/1-day-beginners-navigation-training-course)**.
All our events are approved as "Good to Go" Covid-secure by Visit England. If you'd like to discuss the walk or other options before booking please contact us. Thanks, Paul Smith, myGuidedWalks.
* Book with confidence COVID guarantee:
For any booking you are able to reschedule for up to 12 months or obtain a full refund (minus booking or payment processing fees) if your booking cannot take place as a result of COVID-19 restrictions. Just contact us if you need to change your booking, we can often arrange additional dates to those listed. As a small company and not in receipt of any government support rescheduling rather than cancelling is a big help to us.
Standard Cancellation Terms:
* Cancel before 31 days of your adventure and receive a 75% refund (minus booking or payment processing fees).
* Cancel within 30 days of the adventure with no refund. Alternative dates may be able to be agreed at no additional cost, but this is not guaranteed.
What to bring
What to bring
- Warm Clothing