Established in 2016, White Peak Distillery is the first full-scale, craft distillery in the Peak District region. Founded by local couple, Max & Claire Vaughan. The Distillery is located in the former Johnson & Nephew Wire Works in Ambergate and celebrates the rich riverside and industrial landscape of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. The Distillery backs onto the ancient woodland of Shining Cliff, which is a site of special scientific interest. As well as being at a gateway to the Peak District our location offers access to some wonderful, local woodland walks, and to footpaths that follow the Cromford Canal to Cromford Mills.
A visit to the Distillery is underscored by the passion the team has for authentic craft spirits and their unique destination for whisky, gin and other spirits. You’ll have an opportunity to learn a bit of the history of the Wire Works (originally established in 1876). On the Distillery tasting tours you’re able to sample our Derbyshire style of single malt spirit as well as our range of award-winning Shining Cliff gin. For more information about visiting us at the Distillery and to book a tour please visit our website.
- Disabled access - The tour takes in the whole of the Distillery site and you need to be comfortable walking and standing for at least 60 minutes. There are a number of small, shallow steps between some areas, and stairs up to the main production platform which is 21⁄2 metres off the ground. To discuss any access requirements please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site light refreshments - Hot & Cold drinks Snacks Shining Cliff Gin
- Guided tours for groups - The tasting tour takes approximately 90 mins and includes a guided tasting of our range of Shining Cliff gins. Private group tours can be arranged by contacting the Distillery directly.
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Sole use of venue - The Distillery is available to private events, and we can assist with catering if required.
- Free Parking - Parking is available at the distillery. The distillery is located on a large industrial site, please drive carefully and follow signage.
- Gift shop - Selling gin, glassware and White Peak merchandise
- Guided tours mandatory - Please Book in advance by calling the shop or online at www.whitepeakdistillery.co.uk
- Public toilets
- Shop Specialities - Our shop sells our full range of Shining Cliff gins, as well as White Peak Distillery Merchandise, letterpress greetings cards, a range of gin and whisky glasses and weatherproof OS dinky maps of the local area. We also serve takeaway hot and cold drinks, and snacks.
- Accepts groups
- Coach parties accepted - Please contact email@example.com for further information on coach parties and group bookings.
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 28 Mar 2021)|
|Monday - Friday||11:00||- 16:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||Closed|
* OUR SHOP WILL RE-OPEN ON THURSDAY 25TH MARCH. SEE WEB-SITE FOR UP TO DATE DETAILS AND OPENING HOURS.
Map & Directions
The Distillery is located at Derwent Wire Works directly off the A6 (Matlock road) between Belper and Matlock, DE56 2HE should bring you direct to the Wire Works entrance.
Public Transport Directions
The distillery is served by excellent public transport options. Ambergate train station is a 10 minute walk from the Distillery and located on the Derwent Valley Line. Journeys can be made from stations in Matlock, Derby and Nottingham and the stations along those lines.
High Peak runs the Transpeak bus service between Derby and Buxton and there is a request bus stop right outside the main site entrance to the Distillery. Buses run every hour, please check the web-site below to plan your journey.
- White Peak Distillery