Winners of 2023 Peak District and Derbyshire Tourism Awards revealed
The winners of the 2023 Peak District & Derbyshire Tourism Awards were revealed at Casa Hotel on 2nd March.
The 2023 Peak District & Derbyshire Tourism Awards culminated in a glittering awards ceremony attended by 180 people at Casa Hotel in Chesterfield last night (Thursday 2nd March).
Some of the area’s finest visitor attractions, experiences, pubs, restaurants and accommodation providers were amongst those recognised at the awards, designed to showcase excellence and outstanding achievement across the area’s tourism and hospitality sector.
Organised for the third year by Visit Peak District & Derbyshire, with support from the European Regional Development Fund, this year’s awards celebrated the success and resilience of tourism businesses whilst highlighting the sector’s valuable contribution to the local economy.
The awards were hotly contested and finalists progressed through shortlisting, mystery shopping and a rigorous judging process by an independent panel of experts to arrive at last night’s ceremony.
Finalists, guests and partners enjoyed a drinks reception sponsored by Global Brands followed by a three-course formal dinner in the stunning surroundings of Casa Hotel’s Barcelona Suite.
Sir Richard FitzHerbert Bt, Chair of Visit Peak District & Derbyshire, opened proceedings saying: "I am delighted to be here to celebrate with you all and to help the Visit Peak District & Derbyshire team champion the very best of the county’s tourism and hospitality businesses.
“I have learnt through my involvement with Visit Peak District & Derbyshire that we each have our own businesses, our own challenges and our own opportunities for growth but when we work together, we can, and we do achieve so much more.”
Host Andy Miller compered the event as Gold, Silver and Bronze award winners were revealed. Gold winners were each presented with hand-crafted awards, designed and made by Derbyshire-based C W Sellors Fine Jewellery & Luxury Watches, whilst Silver and Bronze winners each received a certificate identifying them as one of the finest tourism businesses in the area.
In a further boost, Gold winners in each of the 13 core categories will now progress onto the national VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2023, which represent the highest accolades in English tourism.
Jo Dilley, Managing Director of Visit Peak District & Derbyshire, said: “The Peak District & Derbyshire Tourism Awards are a celebration of all that’s great about the tourism industry locally, and recognise its vital importance to the economy as well as the hard work, talent and dedication of those who work in this important sector.
“The quality and diversity of our tourism offer is immense and, in light of the many difficulties faced by the industry over the past three years, we should be tremendously proud of not only our award-winners, but of all our finalists. They have shown adaptability, innovation, and commitment to delivering world-class experiences to visitors day in, day out and help make the Peak District and Derbyshire such a fantastic place to live, work and visit. Congratulations everyone!”
Full list of finalists and winners at the 2023 Peak District & Derbyshire Tourism Awards:
Accessible and Inclusive Tourism Award*
- GOLD: Matlock Farm Park, Matlock
- Silver: Croft Bungalow Accessible Holiday Let, Birchover
- Bronze: LEVEL Centre, Rowsley
B&B and Guest House of the Year*
- GOLD: Grendon Bed & Breakfast, Buxton
- Silver: Sheldon House, Monyash
Camping, Glamping and Holiday Park of the Year*
- GOLD: Upper Hurst Farm, Hartington
- Silver: Landal Darwin Forest, Matlock
- Bronze: Rivendale Lodge Retreat, Ashbourne
Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Award*
- GOLD: Pure Outdoor
- Silver: myGuidedWalks
- Bronze: Landal Darwin Forest, Matlock
Experience of the Year*
- GOLD: myGuidedWalks
- Silver: Pendragon Project Team Adventures
- Bronze: Pure Outdoor
Hotel of the Year*
- GOLD: Wildhive Callow Hall, near Ashbourne
- Silver: Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield
- Bronze: The Maynard, Grindleford
New Tourism Business Award*
- GOLD: Great British Car Journey, Ambergate
- Silver: Buxton Crescent Heritage Experience, Buxton
- Bronze: The George, Hathersage
Pub of the Year*
- GOLD: The Blind Bull, Little Hucklow
- Silver: The Scotsman’s Pack Country Inn, Hathersage
- Bronze: The George, Hathersage
Resilience & Innovation Award*
- GOLD: Casa Hotel, Chesterfield
- Silver: Rivendale Lodge Retreat, Ashbourne
Self-Catering Accommodation of the Year*
- GOLD: The Water Mill, Bradbourne
- Silver: Wheeldon Trees Cottages, Earl Sterndale
- Bronze: Tissington Ford Barn, Bradbourne
Taste of the Peak District & Derbyshire Award*
- GOLD: Red Lion Restaurant at Peak Edge Hotel, Chesterfield
- Silver: The Maynard, Grindleford
- Bronze: The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop, Bakewell
Team of the Year
- GOLD: The Maynard Team
- Silver: Creswell Crags Learning Team
- Bronze: Hattersley Wines
Tourism Young Achiever Award
- GOLD: Josh Butler, Longbow Bars and Restaurants
- Silver: Courtney Charlton, The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop
- Bronze: Hollie Fentem, Rivendale Lodge Retreat
- GOLD: Soraya Ferrer, The Maynard
- Silver: Gavin Moy, Pure Outdoor
- Bronze: Martin Firth, Rivendale Lodge Retreat
Visitor Attraction of the Year*
- GOLD: Matlock Farm Park
- Silver: Heights of Abraham, Matlock Bath
- Bronze: Thornbridge Estate, Bakewell
* The winners of these categories will have the opportunity to represent the Peak District and Derbyshire in the national VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2023 competition.
For press enquiries, contact Amy Noton at 07387 141590 or email@example.com.
Notes to editors
High resolution image attached: Gold winners at the 2023 Peak District & Derbyshire Tourism Awards.
Further high resolution images of the awards night are available on request.
About Visit Peak District & Derbyshire
Visit Peak District & Derbyshire’s mission is to develop and grow a successful and sustainable tourism economy, working closely with a wide range of partners to make the Peak District and Derbyshire the destination of choice – regionally, nationally and globally.
For more information visit www.visitpeakdistrict.com/industry
Inspiration on things to see and do, and where to stay, in the Peak District and Derbyshire is available at www.visitpeakdistrict.com
About the European Regional Development Fund
The approved business support programme is receiving over £1.2 million of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund. The Department for Communities and Local Government is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, European Regional Development Fund funds help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding
Sign up to our newsletter
Stay updated with the latest visitor economy news, events and networking opportunities by signing up to rhe Visit Peak District & Derbyshire industry e-newsletter.