White Peak Distillery a new craft whisky and spirit company located in the Derwent Valley UNESCO World Heritage Site at a gateway to the Peak District National Park. In April ’18 we started laying down our single malt whisky, as well as continuing to make other spirits, including Shining Cliff Gin. We run a shop and tasting tours where you can see how we make (and sample) our spirits.
The distillery team are focussed on producing authentic, small batch, hand-crafted spirits that are unique to, and speak of our beautiful location on the edge of Shining Cliff Woods and the river Derwent. The Still House occupies the former victorian maintenance sheds of the Johnson & Nephew Wireworks. We’re uncompromising in our approach to product quality. We’re a team that is building the foundations for the future of craft spirits in The Peak District.
The distillery is built on the tradition of the copper pot still (manufactured in Scotland), with ‘hand-crafted’ small batch production, honouring British heritage for whisky distillation, whilst emphasising a progressive direction and core values of local,hand-crafted, small batch distillation by people who are passionate about their craft.
We set out to do something unique in the Peak District region where whisky had never before been made. This hasn’t meant throwing out traditions that have stood the test of time but we want to put down our marker. We take our time to create our spirit from English barley using a unique yeast blend with links to Derbyshire’s brewing heritage. Our fermentations are long, at the detriment of alcohol yield but critical for our focus on flavour. Our pot stills have been hand-built at a traditional coppersmith to our designs, to fit the character we want for our spirit.
The ancient woodland of Shining Cliff, where the Distillery has its home, was the inspiration for our original floral-style Derbyshire dry gin. We sought a style of gin that reflects this beautiful location. The woodland and hedgerows we walk and cycle past daily offer up an abundance of seasonal botanicals from woodland berries to delicate mayflower. Our Floral gin is made from 13 botanicals, which we vapour distill to ensure we capture all of the delicate flavours. The finished result is a complex yet perfectly balanced, smooth dry gin, with a wonderful floral nose. Our Shining Cliff gin range also includes Citrus, Spiced and Bakewell Pud.
Our tasting tours are run in groups of up to 16 people and last approximately 90 minutes. During the tour you’ll have the opportunity to experience the unique atmosphere, heat and smells of our working distillery. We’ll take you behind the scenes in our still house, home to our two beautiful hand-made copper stills, and in our cask storage areas to see (and taste) our maturing new make whisky. You’ll be guided through the whisky making process by one of our knowledgeable distillers and learn about the vision for the first whisky distillery in the Peak District region. You’ll gain insights into what we have planned for our Derbyshire single malt whisky and there will be time for questions and photos (note that cameras are not permitted for use in all areas of the Distillery for safety reasons). You’ll also get to see ‘Betty’ our 600 litre spirits still, used to make our award winning Shining Cliff gin and other spirits. Then it’s back to the Tasting Room for a tasting of our range of gins and a chance for further discussion. Please note that the sample sizes are for tasters rather than full spirit measures.
If you wish to extend your visit the Distillery is on the edge of Shining Cliff Woods, an ancient woodland, and site of special scientific interest. The woods are home to the famous Betty Kenny yew tree and numerous walking paths. We have maps of the local area available to buy in the Distillery Shop, along with hot & cold drinks (and often local cakes) available for purchase.
- Disabled access - The tour takes in the whole of the Distillery site and you need to be comfortable walking and standing for at least 60 minutes. There are a number of small, shallow steps between some areas, and stairs up to the main production platform which is 21⁄2 metres off the ground. The Distillery and Shop buildings are accessible to wheelchair users except for the main production platform, which has stair access. For anyone unable to access the production platform, the tour will spend approx. 10 minutes up there and from below it is still possible to see the copper stills and other vessels and to potentially also hear the tour guide. Where operational requirements permit, we will endeavour to have a member of the Distillery team spend time separately with anyone unable to access the platform. Unfortunately our Distillery environment is not suitable for the blind. If you have any queries about accessibility, please e-mail email@example.com
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- On-site light refreshments - Hot & Cold drinks Snacks Shining Cliff Gin
- Guided tours for groups - We will take you behind the scenes of our working distillery to show you how we make Derbyshire's first single malt whisky and Shining Cliff Gin. The tasting tour takes approximately 90 mins and includes a guided tasting of Shining Cliff gin. Please note, we are an operating distillery set in large industrial buildings and visitors should be dressed appropriately for entry. This includes warm clothes during the colder months and flat-soled foot wear that covers your feet; high heels and sandals / open-toe shoes are not permitted. The floors may be wet and slippery and there are also stairs to climb on your tour.
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Sole use of venue
- Free Parking - Parking is available at the distillery. The distillery is located on a large industrial site, please drive carefully and follow signage.
- Gift shop - Gift Shop selling gin, glassware and White Peak merchandise OPENING TIMES Mon Closed Tues-Fri 11.00 am - 5.00 pm Sat 11.00 am - 4.00 pm Sun Closed
- Guided tours mandatory - Tours available: Thursdays 3pm Fridays 11am and 3pm Saturdays 11am Adults £12 8-17 year olds £5 Please Book in advance by calling the shop or online at www.whitepeakdistillery.co.uk
- Public toilets
- Shop Specialities - Our shop sells our full range of Shining Cliff gins, as well as White Peak Distillery Merchandise, letterpress greetings cards, a range of gin and whisky glasses and weatherproof OS dinky maps of the local area. We also serve takeaway hot and cold drinks, and snacks.
- Accepts groups - For further information on private bookings or larger groups please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coach parties accepted - Please contact email@example.com for further information.
|Season (1 Jan 2018 - 28 Mar 2021)|
|Monday - Friday||11:00||- 16:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||Closed|