The Roaches Tea Rooms and Restaurant sits beneath Hen Cloud by the Roaches in the Peak District and is just 4 miles from the market town of Leek and 9 miles from Buxton in Derbyshire. Our licensed venue has breathtaking views over the Staffordshire Moorlands and Tittesworth Reservoir and is popular with many people including walkers, climbers, cyclists and those simply enjoying time out. This family-run rural retreat has a welcoming team of friendly staff who provide waitress service, good homemade food and a wide range of hot, cold and alcoholic drinks. Our specially thought out menus include gluten free, vegetarian and child friendly options and encompass full and lighter breakfasts, light and main lunches including Sunday lunches, homemade cakes and scones which are made and prepared on our premises. We source our meat, fruit and vegetables as locally as possible from Derbyshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire and our Staffordshire oatcakes and pikelets come from the Leek Oatcake Shop. Our extensive drinks menu has a choice of teas, infusions, coffees, the Luscombe range of soft drinks as well as wines and beers. We are happy to take table bookings and are able to host gatherings such as christening parties, funeral wakes, birthdays or anniversay groups.
We are now licensed to serve a full range of drinks.We are happy for dogs on leads outside but not inside the cafe.
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets - Radar toilets only
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (with charge) - We do not accept American Express.
- Covers - c.40 covers indoors between our current two rooms. A further 5 tables are available outside in the Summer months.
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Specialities - Homemade food, breakfasts, lunches, sunday lunches, cakes and scones. Gluten free menu available, Childrens' menu available.
- Baby changing facilities - In Ladies toilet across the courtyard
- Children welcome
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face mask essential (not provided)
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- One way system - outside only
- Online ordering available
- Outside seating
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Takeaway available
- Free Parking - Available only to customers whilst they are in the tea rooms. Please do not leave your car here.
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed
- Regional Tourist Board Member - Member of Destination Staffordshire
- Accepts groups - Groups of walkers, climbers, cyclists welcome. Families and all groups welcome. Advisable to book ahead.
- Coach parties accepted
* Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day
Map & Directions
Take the turning for Upper Hulme from the A53 Buxton Road 3 miles north of Leek. Follow the road through Upper Hulme and up the lane, after about half a mile turn left over a cattle grid and down the driveway to the tea rooms car park. Be aware that Satelite Navigation systems will normally drop you down the road in the village of Upper Hulme!
Public Transport Directions
There are train stations are Stoke, Macclesfield and Buxton which are all in the region of about 10 miles away. Buses come through Leek and from Buxton but the nearest bus stop is about 1.5 milesaway near the Three Horseshoes pub on the A53 going towards Leek