The Roaches Tea Rooms and Restaurant sits beneath Hen Cloud by the Roaches in the Peak District and is just 4 miles from the market town of Leek and 9 miles from Buxton in Derbyshire. Our licensed venue has breathtaking views over the Staffordshire Moorlands and Tittesworth Reservoir and is popular with many people including walkers, climbers, cyclists and those simply enjoying time out. This family-run rural retreat has a welcoming team of friendly staff who provide waitress service, good homemade food and a wide range of hot, cold and alcoholic drinks. Our specially thought out menus include gluten free, vegetarian and child friendly options and encompass full and lighter breakfasts, light and main lunches including Sunday lunches, homemade cakes and scones which are made and prepared on our premises. We source our meat, fruit and vegetables as locally as possible from Derbyshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire and our Staffordshire oatcakes and pikelets come from the Leek Oatcake Shop. Our extensive drinks menu has a choice of teas, infusions, coffees, the Luscombe range of soft drinks as well as wines and beers. We are happy to take table bookings and are able to host gatherings such as christening parties, funeral wakes, birthdays or anniversay groups.
We are now licensed to serve a full range of drinks.We are happy for dogs on leads outside but not inside the cafe.
- Afternoon tea
- Children's menu
- Serve lunch
- Take away service
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets - Radar toilets only
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Breakfast available
- Cash accepted
- Covers - c.40 covers indoors between our current two rooms. A further 5 tables are available outside in the Summer months.
- On-site catering - We are able to cater for the smaller on-site functions with prior arrangement. Our new bespoke oak conservatory can seat up to 40 people and we are happy to tailor a menu to your wishes. We are delighted to be able to host intimate wedding receptions for those who do not wish for a "Big Do"; birthday, anniversary and funeral gatherings as well as christenings and baby showers. We can also cater for children's birthdays on site. For out of hours events or at busy times, there will be a venue charge.
- On-site light refreshments
- Special diets available - We have a small selection of gluten free options on our menu including GF cakes and scones.
- Specialities - Homemade food, breakfasts, lunches, sunday lunches, cakes and scones. Gluten free menu available, Childrens' menu available.
- Vegetarian diet available
- Baby changing facilities - In Ladies toilet across the courtyard
- Children welcome
- 1m distancing in place
- Capacity limit - 40-50 indoors c.30 outdoors
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face mask essential (not provided) - September 2021, masks advisable
- Face masks required for staff in public areas
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Open now - March-end of October 9am-5pm November - End of February 9am-4pm. Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. We may close for short periods due to harsh snow in the winter
- Outside seating
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions - Outside only unless an assistance dog
- Queuing system
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Takeaway available
- Free WIFI
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Mobile phone coverage
- Wedding receptions - Beautiful stone and oak conservatory available with venu charge for smaller receptions. Up to 50 covers inside
- Free Parking - Available only to customers whilst they are actually in the tea rooms. Please do not leave vehicles on car park to walk, cycle, climb etc, even if you have been into the tea room. Our car park is not big enough to then allow other visitors to park.
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed
- WiFi or internet access - Code available in tea room.
- Regional Tourist Board Member - Member of Destination Staffordshire
- Accepts groups - Groups of walkers, climbers, cyclists welcome. Families and all groups welcome. Advisable to book ahead.
- Coach parties accepted
- Single sex groups welcomed
* Closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day
Map & Directions
Take the turning for Upper Hulme from the A53 Buxton Road 3 miles north of Leek. Follow the road through Upper Hulme and up the lane, after about half a mile turn left over a cattle grid and down the driveway to the tea rooms car park. Be aware that Satelite Navigation systems will normally drop you down the road in the village of Upper Hulme!
Public Transport Directions
There are train stations are Stoke, Macclesfield and Buxton which are all in the region of about 10 miles away. Buses come through Leek and from Buxton but the nearest bus stop is about 1.5 milesaway near the Three Horseshoes pub on the A53 going towards Leek