Matlock Meadows is a coffee shop and ice cream parlour situated on a real, working, family dairy farm – Masson Farm is set in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales and overlooking the historic spa town of Matlock.
The coffee shop serves hot and cold drinks, homemade cakes and ice cream, sandwiches and light bites to take away. There is a gift shop that stocks giftware, children’s toys, books and sweet & savoury preserves, chutneys and jams.
There is also an outdoor children’s play area and some farm animals you can meet!
Ice cream Our award-winning Italian style gelato is available to eat in or take away in 500ml tubs and is also available wholesale. It is hand-made here on the family farm using the quality farm assured creamy milk from our own dairy herd which graze the limestone pastures overlooking the historic spa town of Matlock. The milk travels only 15 metres from the milking parlour to the ice cream parlour so very few ‘food miles’. Hand-made in small batches our ice cream is made to an Italian recipe which is lower in fat with less air incorporated creating a dense ice cream with an intense flavour. We take a lot of pride in our ice cream and use the finest quality ingredients to create our award-winning ice creams and sorbet. Our award-winning Vanilla ice cream is made using the finest Madagascan bourbon vanilla, we use real strawberries in our strawberry ice cream, real Belgian chocolate in our chocolate ice cream and real fruit in our ‘dairy free’ sorbet. Within our ice cream parlour, we have selection of 15 flavours available to choose from and make over 40 flavours to wholesale many of which are gluten free. For those who are dairy intolerant we also have a dairy free sorbet available within our display cabinet.
Matlock Meadows is based on the real working Dairy Farm ‘Masson Farm’ which has been in the Dakin family since the 1930’s. The quality ‘farm assured’ milk from our own dairy herd is used to make our artisan Italian style gelato. The inspiration to make our own Italian style ice cream came following a trip to Italy and tasting some of the most amazing gelato that Italy has to offer. Several years later we created our own ‘taste of Italy’ at Matlock Meadows Ice Cream Parlour.
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Other Awards Great Taste Producer Award 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous Red Tractor Assured 2021
|Season (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Open Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays 11.30am-4.30pm
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good50
- Molly HMatlock Bath, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely little farm - great for preschoolersSaturday, 6th February 2021This lovely little family business has been my little boys favourite place to go for the past 3 years. There is a beautiful playground (that for now is clearly postered No Entry - totally within... Read full review
- stuarthiggKingston-upon-Hull, United KingdomCame for the ice cream, stayed for the experience!Sunday, 11th April 2021We found this place by pure accident, but what a find it was!! I thought we were rocking up just for a bit of ice cream, but there is so much more to it, even with the Coronavirus restrictions in... Read full review
- 8REMWMatlock, United Kingdombest ice cream aroundSunday, 25th July 2021A lovely place to visit, the ice cream is to die for, loads of flavours to choose from, a nice play area for the children, and plenty of animals for the children to see. Read full review
Map & Directions
We are situated in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales overlooking the historic spa town of Matlock. Find us just off the A6 above Sainsbury’s Matlock. We have no admission fee however we do rely on the income generated from the café hence no picnics allowed. Our other facilities include an outdoor play area, farm animals to view, small toddler indoor soft play area (£2 charge applies), pedal tractors, quad bike track (£1 charge applies), free parking, Free Wi-fi, disabled access, baby changing facilities. We welcome dogs on leads in the outside and haybarn areas but not in the café area.
As we are a working dairy farm with access to some animals, farm safety is very important to us, so children and vulnerable adults should always be supervised by a responsible adult, also handwashing facilities are provided and should be used after touching the animals or animal enclosure and before eating.