AboutWillington is situated to north of Repton between the River Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal in South Derbyshire. The bridge over the river Trent at Willington was built in 1836 and was one of the last main road toll bridges in England. It was not made free until 1898. A settlement from the Beaker period was excavated in gravel beds by the river Trent. St Michael's church in Willington dates from the 12th century.
The Canal had a dramatic effect on the growth of the village and this led to the development of a small inland port. The arrival of the railways in the 1800's meant a gradual decline in the use of canals for transport and industry. Today the canal is now a valuable habitat for wildlife and is also now used for leisure. Mercia Marina was created from the existing Willington Lake and is linked to the Trent and Mersey Canal. It is set within 74 acres of landscaped grounds and is the largest inland marina in the UK and one of the largest in Europe; the marina is currently home to a tea room, shops, chandlery, workshops and a few narrowboat hire companies. Plans for a Gastro pub, log cabins and much more are in the pipeline. The village also has plenty of opportunities for shopping and eating out, Willington Green Delicatessen is situated on the Village Green.
Now Available! 'Findern and Willington Circular Walk' one in a series of walks in the 'More Walks in South Derbyshire' booklet priced at £2.00 (+50p postage). Please contact Swadlincote Tourist Information Centre to obtain your copy.
- Accepts groups
- Dogs accepted
- Public toilets
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
Map & Directions
Willington Village is situated about 5 miles south of Derby.
Accessible by Public Transport: Willington station is 0 miles away.