AboutWalton on Trent is situated about 4 miles south-west of Burton, on the east bank of the River Trent in South Derbyshire and in The National Forest. The village was originally located to the south of the present village and stood on the earthworks known as Borough Hill. This still commands an imposing view over the river and is probably the site of an iron age fort. The village today is now located near the church and bridge. Walton is an ancient fording point, with an iron bridge being built over the River Trent in 1834. This has been replaced numerous times over the past 100 years.
The most noteworthy buildings in the village are the church and the Old and New Halls. The church contains some late Norman work and fragmentary remains of a possible Anglo Saxon church. It also has some fine early 20th century woodwork, carved by the rector and a south transept of c1334 which was originally built as the chantry for the Waley family. Walton Hall was built in 1724-9 to replace the old timber framed hall. The New Hall, in a commanding situation overlooking the river, was built for William Taylor, by Richard Jackson of Armitage.
- Accepts groups
- Dogs accepted
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
Map & Directions
Situated about 4 miles south-west of Burton
The nearest railway station is Burton on Trent, which is 4 miles away.