AboutTwo Dales, can be found on the Chesterfield Road out of Darley Dale. A hamlet; the name probably comes from the twin valleys of Hall Dale and Sydnope Dale, which run on either side of the village.
Once known as Toadhole until 1850, Two Dales was a thriving community on the main Chesterfield to Bakewell route, the main industry was established at the Ladybrook Mill by the Dakeyne family which first produced flax and then later lace and then animal feed. The mill was water powered by 3 resevoirs lying in the valley which now provides pleasant walks through quiet woods.
The Dakeyne family were responsible for much of the prosperity of Two Dales.
The Smith family owned the nurseries in the area, and one of the Smith family bought the Red House in 1939 which became a riding school, renowned over the world as a carriage driving school and a museum . The carriges and horses are a popular sight in the area and have been used in many recent films.
Things to do; see Darley Dale.