Repton, former capital of the Anglo Saxon kingdom of Mercia, is today a fusion of village and public school. This South Derbyshire village has one principal street, lined with a number of handsome Georgian houses and cottages. The Medieval cross on its imposing octagonal steps serves as a focal point on the road junction at the north end.
St Wystan’s church is of national importance. Under the east end of the church is an Anglo Saxon crypt of the 8th and 9th centuries, which once held the bones of St. Wystan and was a place of pilgrimage. With its spiral decorated columns and vaulted roof, the crypt is one of England's most precious survivals of Anglo Saxon architecture.
To the east of the church are the remains of Repton Priory, an Augustinian house founded in 1172. After the dissolution of the Monasteries, part of the priory buildings became the home of Repton School which was founded in 1557. Another part became Repton Hall, which is now also part of the school.
After exploring the village enjoy the excellent local gastropubs which always offer a warm welcome. And for lovers of real ale, The Boot has its own micro brewery onsite, which is a definite entry on the ‘to do’ list – they even have beautifully appointed rooms, if you feel like staying over!
Nearby places to visit also include Mercia Marina – Europe’s largest inland water marina, National Trust Calke Abbey, Anchor Church and Foremark Reservoir.
For more information go to Visit South Derbyshire web pages
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Booking & Payment Details
- Cash Point
- On-site catering
- Children welcome
- Education/study area
- Free Parking
- Parking with charge
- Dogs Accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- Telephone (public)
Map & Directions
Situated on the B5008 between Derby and Burton on TrentAccessible by Public Transport: Burton upon Trent station is 8 miles away.