AboutPinxton is a small village on the eastern side of Derbyshire, with a few acres still in Nottinghamshire.
In Anglo Saxon times, Pinxton was a tiny and purely agricultural settlement, and remained that way for centuries. It may have been the unidentified manor of Esnotrewic or Snodeswic belonging in 1086 to William Peveril, five of whose 13 Derbyshire manors lay on the eastern border, including South Normanton and Shirland. Under him the manor was held by Drogo Fitz Ponce, who seems to have changed its name to Ponceston from which it became Penekeston by 1208 and eventually Pinxton.
Coal has been mined on a small scale in the village but, with the arrival of a branch of the Cromford Canal in the 1790's a miniature industrial revolution began. Within 10 years or so, several deep coal pits, four lime kilns and a china works had developed.
The early 19th Century saw the building of a railway line from Pinxton Wharf to Mansfield. It was horse drawn until 1849 when it became linked to the Erewash Valley Railway.
The inventor John King lived in Pinxton. He made the mine cage safety detaching hook, which became world famous, and his old workshop was converted into a small museum. A John King Memorial still stands opposite the village's Greyhound Inn.
The church of St Helen partly dates from medieval times and possibly stands on the site of a small castle that once existed here. Only the west tower and west end of the old church survive. In 1750 the church was expanded with 'modern' additions. A new porch and north aisle were added in 1939.
Today, the coal mines and lime kilns have gone but the community spirit common to mining villages remains.
- Dogs accepted
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Mobile phone coverage
- Disabled access
Map & Directions
Leave M1 motorway at junction 28 and take B6019 towards Alfreton. Take 1st left turn into Pinxton Lane and follow road to village.
Take A617 towards Chesterfield. At M1 motorway roundabout take 1st exit (M1 south). Leave M1 at next junction (28), then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 into Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Stay in left lane and, at traffic lights go straight on. When carriageway divides select right hand lane and, at next roundabout take 3rd exit. At next roundabout (traffic light controlled) select left hand lane and take 2nd exit (A617). Follow road for approx 4 miles to M1 roundabout and take 4th exit (M1 South). Leave M1 motorway at next junction (28), then follow route from North/South.
The nearest railway station is Alfreton, which is 4 miles away.