AboutThe village street of Kings Newton in South Derbyshire is lined with stone and timber-framed houses and was praised by Sir Nikolaus Pevser as one of the most attractive village streets in Derbyshire. The most important of these houses is the gabled Kings Newton Hall which was rebuilt inside its old walls in 1910 after being a burnt out shell for over 50 years.
At the crossroads in the village is an unusual cross on medieval steps. The cross itself was put up in 1936 to commemorate the accession to the throne of King Edward VIII.
At the west end of the village, reached by a path off the bridle road to Stanton, is a Holy Well. The old stone superstructure, destroyed in 1948, was rebuilt by the Melbourne Civic Society in 1984.
- Dogs accepted
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
Map & Directions
8 miles south of Derby
The nearest railway station is Derby, which is 8 miles away.