An important village since the Middle Ages, Hartington was granted a market charter in 1203 by William De Ferres and became a major centre for a large rural population from the many isolated farms in the surrounding area.
A pretty village at the northern end of Dovedale, the village is set in some of the very best walking country.
Hartington's past wealth and importance can be seen in the impressive stone cottages and houses around the village square and many ancient routes and trackways still meet in the village, although it has been years since a market has been held.
One of the most impressive buildings in the village is Hartington Hall, now the local YHA. Dating back to 1611, the manor house still retains much of its original character and is one of the most popular youth hostels in the Peak District, with a restaurant open to the public serving locally sourced produce.
The scenery in and around this charming old limestone village is outstanding. The village is centred around the spacious square, with the much photographed duck pond as a focal point. There are some fine old buildings, including the Charles Cotton Hotel, St. Giles Church, the Market Hall and Hartington Hall. There is as a good selection of gift shops, cafes and pubs and there is a small pottery. The Hartington creamery is unfortunately now closed but the adjacent speciality cheese shop remains and indeed thrives. .
Things to do; This popular village is surrounded by beautiful scenery with a network of footpaths radiating from it. To the south is romantic Beresford Dale, leading to Wovescote Dale and the famous Dovedale or venture north, in the Upper Dove valley on quieter paths to Pilsbury Castle and Crowdecote.
- Coach parties accepted
- Gift shop
- Public toilets
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Free Parking
- Parking with charge
- Facilities for groups
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Map & Directions
Hartington, situated in Derbyshire and the Peak District National Park. Hartington can be reached by taking the A515 road out of Ashbourne and after about 12 miles turning left onto the B5054. Limited Free Parking. Pay & Display car park availableAccessible by Public Transport: Buxton station is 13 miles away.