AboutAlthough Bagnall is located only a few short miles from the former industrial city of Stoke-on-Trent, it retains a sense of rural isolation and has been described as one of the most tranquil villages in Staffordshire. Of interest are the 16th Century Stafford Arms, the traditional village green, parish church and church hall, and the notable building Bagnall Hall.
The land at what now comprises the parish of Bagnall was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, but not as a setlement, rather as being largely wasteland containing one or two ploughlands, part of the Parish of Endon.
The siting of the early settlement at Bagnall probably owes its origins to some religious observance, it being where moorland routes converged. It was certainly on the old salt route. A cross was erected to guide travellers and to indicate a well-worn route. Known locally as the Market Cross (or Butter Cross), it was sited on what is now the Village Green. A cross in the form of a War memorial is on the Green today.
By 1563, ten household comprised the, by now, village of Bagnall.
- Accepts groups
- Dogs accepted
- Children welcome
- Free Parking
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Facilities for conferencing
Map & Directions
From Stoke-on-Trent you would approach Bagnall along the A53 which goes from Stoke-on-Trent to Leek. At Stockton Brook turn right onto Stanley Road and follow for approx. 1 mile and turn right onto Clewlows Bank continue for approx 1 mile into the village.
The nearest railway station is Stoke-on-Trent, which is 5 miles away.