AboutAldercar and Langley Mill are joint parishes. Langley Mill has a rich industrial heritage. Langley Mill Pottery was established 1865. In 1883, it was taken over by the Lovatt brothers, and continued production for many years. It became part of the Denby Pottery group in 1959, and finally closed down in 1982. Lovatt and Langley ware are still much in demand.
Langley Mill is a village with a rich industrial heritage . Although the village of today appears to remain a thriving concern, many of the household names of the past have now disappeared and have been replaced with smaller industrial concerns, employing less people and being more responsive to the employment and economic climate of today. The names G.R.Turner, Pickersgill & Frost, Lovatt's, Aristoc and Vic Hallam remain only in people's memory, but to many they help paint a picture of a bygone industrial age when the village provided employment to many in the area. Until the onset of the turnpikes and the Industrial Revolution in the late 18th century, the area which was to become Langley Mill was simply a crossing place on the River Erewash, with links to Derby, Heanor, Eastwood, Mansfield and Nottingham. A road to Codnor Castle had used the old wooden bridge since the 12th century, but there were very few houses in the area, and the majority of these were farmsteads. Although there had been a water mill in the area since Domesday times, it was the Canal Age which initiated the development of the industrial village which later became known as Langley Mill. Langley Mill is always linked with what was the hamlet of Aldercar - it is hard to know where one starts and the other finishes. Today, the administrative parish is named "Aldercar and Langley Mill
- Dogs accepted
- Public toilets
- Children welcome
- Free Parking
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
Map & Directions
Aldercar and Langley Mill are just off the A610, on the borders of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire 1 mile from Heanor and north east of Derby. Directions: From North/South. Leave the M1 motorway at junction 26 and take the A610 towards Eastwood (D H Lawrence Museum) and Ripley. Leave the A610 at the second slip way (Langley Mill) and take the first exit (A608) off the roundabout. Pass the Access 26 Industrial Estate and take next right as road bends to left (Cromford Road). The Bridge Centre is approx 100 yards down road on left (number 43).
From East: Follow A610 to M1 motorway junction and take 2nd exit (A610), then follo route from North/South.
From West: Take the A610 (from Ambergate) signposted to Ripley. Follow road for approx 2½ miles to junction with A38. Take 2nd exit at roundabout (A610) and continue following road, going straight on at next 3 roundabouts to codnor. Follow A610 round sharp right bend (Codnor Gate). Follow A610 for approx 2½ miles to Aldercar and turn right at crossroads (Aldercar Lane). At next crossroads turn left (Cromford Road). Follow road round towards Derby Road junction and the Bridge Centre is on right (number 43). Free coach parking is available in a small car park opposite the Centre. There is a private car park at the rear of the centre but space is limited.
Accessible by Public Transport: Langley Mill station is 0 miles away.