The safety of our guests, staff and community is obviously very important to us. In order to comply with the guidance around social distancing, enhanced cleaning and other measures that are necessary to reduce the spread of COVID 19 we have adapted how we offer accommodation for guests.
We are open to bookings for stays for up to 12 people from up to 2 households/bubbles. This gives the opportunity for 2 families to book a break together and enjoy the fantastic Peak District National Park. Social distancing and hygiene within the accommodation is the responsibility of those staying and is why we are only renting the individual units to two households/bubbles who know each other and book together, or to one family to have sole use. Our website has up to date details for each accommodation building.
This type of use is currently on offer until the end of October 2020 both midweek and at weekends. If you are interested in using any of our accommodation buildings in this way during November or December please get in touch.
Our fantastic location in the heart of the Peak District gives you access to wonderful countryside, interesting places to visit and towns / villages to explore. We have the traffic free Monsal Trail right on our door step which is fantastic for accessing walking and cycling routes directly from our site.
Our four self contained accommodation buildings, the 'Lodge', the 'Farm House', 'Woodlands' (accessible) and '2 The Woodlands Cottage' have their own kitchen and dining / lounge room with a LCD TV, Blu-ray player and free WiFi access. Having exclusive use of a building, rather than shared use of a larger building, is popular with our visiting groups enabling them to set up their own home from home. The Lodge sleeps 38 in 9 bedrooms; the Farm House sleeps 38 in 7 bedrooms (but can only seat 36 in the dining room); Woodlands (accessible) sleeps up to 10 in 2 bedrooms (and convertible lounge) and 2 The Woodlands Cottage sleeps 4 in 2 bedrooms. The buildings can be booked separately or together for groups of up to 90 people.
Woodlands and the Lodge are all on one level and have disabled toilet/shower rooms, making them suitable for wheelchair users and those with mobility difficulties. Woodlands also has other accessible features such as a ceiling mounted hoist, mobile hoist and a single profiling bed (see our website for more information and our accessibility guide).
Our large camp site, along with its kitchen and dining room, is ideal for introducing people to camping and is available to be booked by groups along with our 9 teepees.
We have a number of meeting / conference / game rooms available to hire. Combined with our accommodation, grounds and facilities these enable us to host many different events including birthday parties, family gatherings, reunions, band / choir / theatre / church groups, conferences, team building events and weddings receptions.
Instructed outdoor activities both onsite and offsite are available for part or all of your visit and include:
- High & low ropes courses
- Zip wire
- Mountain biking
- Caving and Mine Exploration
- Rock climbing & bouldering
- Hill walking
- Team building tasks
We can also offer resources for self-led activities at an additional charge.
Please note, Woodlands is only available to hire during at weekends and during school holidays. It is used by schools during school term time.
VAT is included in the prices. For more information and pictures please visit our website.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Capacity||Room / Unit Tariff*||Notes|
|2 The Woodlands Cottage||4||£126.00 per unit per night||Minimum of 2 night stay. Main bedroom has two single beds that can be joined together (zipped) to create a super king size bed. The second bedroom has a bunk bed.|
|Farm House||38||£624.00 per unit per night||Minimum of 2 night stay. A mixture of bunk beds and single beds from 2 people per room to 8 people per room.|
|The Lodge||38||£780.00 per unit per night||Minimum of 2 night stay. A mixture of bunk beds and single beds from 3 people per room to 6 people per room. Two bedrooms, Gardoms and Burbage, each sleep 3 people and have wide doorways for wheelchair users.|
|Woodlands (accessible)||10||£207.90 per unit per night||Minimum of 2 night stay. A mixture of bunk beds and single beds with one pull down double bed. One accessible bedroom also has a single electric profiling bed and hoist system linking to the en-suite accessible shower room.|
Please visit our website www.thornbridgeoutdoors.co.uk for up to date details on minimum stays and charges between now and the end of October due to the current COVID - 19 situation.
Minimum 2 night stay.
Arrival days are normally Friday, Monday and Wednesday; departure days are normally Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Contact us to enquire to arrive to depart on another day.
A deposit is required when booking, full payment 12 weeks before your visit, plus a refundable bond.
You can hire all four buildings together for larger groups for up to 90 people.
Prices include VAT.
Woodlands is only available to hire during at weekends and during school holidays. It is used by schools during school term time.
- Other Awards Self-assessed Accessibility Information 2020
- Activity Awards Adventure Activities Licensing Authority 2016
- Other Awards Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge 2017
- Activity Awards Adventure Activities Licensing Authority 2017
- Other Awards AHOEC - Gold Standard 2019
- Assisted wheelchair users - Woodlands and the Lodge are suitable for assisted wheelchair users.
- Assisted wheelchair users Exceptional - Woodlands and the Lodge are suitable for assisted wheelchair users.
- Disabled access - See disability facilities notes.
- Disabled facilities - Woodlands has been designed to cater for groups which include those with additional needs; it is all on one level and has a ceiling mounted hoist, a mobile hoist, a single electric profiling bed and an accessible shower room. Please see our website for more information. The Lodge is all on one level and has a disabled toilet/shower room, making it suitable for wheelchair users and those with mobility difficulties. Two bedrooms, Gardoms and Burbage, each sleep 3 people and have wide doorways for wheelchair users.
- Disabled toilets - Woodlands - one inside shower room and toilet, one outside toilet. Lodge - one inside shower room and toilet.
- Elderly and less mobile - See disability facilities notes.
- Part-time wheelchair users - Woodlands and the Lodge are suitable for part-time wheelchair users.
Booking & Payment Details
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Breakfast available - We offer different catering options, please contact us for details.
- Cooking facilities - All buildings have their own fully equipped kitchen and dining areas.
- Evening meals - We offer different catering options, please contact us for details.
- Packed lunches provided - We offer different catering options, please contact us for details.
- Picnic site - Picnic benches are provided outside each building.
- Vegetarian diet available - Vegetarian meals are available on pre-booked catering, please inform us at time of booking.
- Children welcome - Children welcome from any age, although there are recommended minimum ages for some outdoor activities.
- Children's indoor play area - Our games room is available to hire at an extra cost.
- High chairs available - Please request high chairs when booking, we have 2 available per building.
- Microwave cooker
- Education/study area - Our meeting rooms are available to hire at an extra cost.
- Facilities for educational visits
- Facilities for groups
- Central heating
- Drying facilities - The Lodge has a dedicated drying room with heater and fan. The Farm House has space in the lobby to dry footwear and clothes (but no additional heating or fan). We have a couple of extra drying rooms onsite, please enquire if you think you would need them.
- Washing machine - Only in Woodlands and 2 The Woodlands Cottage
- Cycles for hire - Cycles only available for hire when you pay for an instructor to lead a cycling activity. We have cycles for children and adults, we also have accessibility trikes.
- Free WIFI
- Games room onsite - Available to hire at an extra cost.
- Golf available (onsite or nearby) - Bakewell Golf Club
- Leisure club (onsite or nearby) - Bakewell Swimming Pool
Linen & Bedding
- Bedding provided
- Linen provided
Meeting, Conference & Wedding Facilities
- Conference facilities - We have several meeting spaces that have projectors, speakers and screens including a 9m diameter Yurt.
- Free broadband internet in bedrooms
- Grounds for outdoor activities
- Mobile phone coverage - Level of coverage depends on your mobile provider, please check with them.
- Sole use of venue - You can have sole use of one of our buildings or book out the whole site. Contact us for details.
- Wedding receptions
- Free Parking
- Private parking - Our car park holds about 26 cars and has one disabled space in the main car park. Woodlands has it's own dedicated disabled space.
- Cleaning service
- Designated smoking area - Outside.
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Dogs/pets NOT accepted - Except for assistance & guide dogs.
- Non-smoking property
- Smoking not allowed - Only allowed in the outside designated area.
- WiFi or internet access - Free Wi-Fi (no need to create an account either).
- CD player - The DVD player in the lounge plays CD's.
- DVD player
- Ground floor bedroom
- Television - Freesat TV in the lounge.
- Building of historical interest - The Farm House is one of our grade 2 listed buildings onsite.
- Garden - 30 acres of grounds for you to explore including a 850m cycle track with pump track and our badger woods.
- Accepts groups
- Single sex groups welcomed
Map & Directions
If approaching from Matlock or Buxton on the A6 Turn off the A6 one mile west of Bakewell onto the A6020 signposted Ashford in the Water and turn immediately left into Ashford. Take the second right signposted Monsal Head on the B6465 and after approx ½ a mile turn right up Longstone Lane. Thornbridge Outdoors is a further ½ mile on the left. If approaching from Sheffield Take the A625 to Calver and proceed towards Bakewell on the B6001. At the junction with the A6020 exit right on the roundabout and take the next right to Great Longstone. In Great Longstone turn left after the school onto Station Road - Thornbridge Outdoors is ½ mile on the right. If approaching from Chesterfield Take the A619 towards Bakewell. In Baslow take the first exit at the roundabout and turn right after 500m, still on the A619 towards Bakewell. At the top of the hill turn right on the A6020 towards Ashford in the Water - cross directly over the roundabout and take the next right to Great Longstone. In Great Longstone turn left after the school onto Station Road - Thornbridge Outdoors is ½ mile on the right. If approaching from Manchester On the A623 and turn right through Wardlow towards Monsal Head on the B6465. At Monsal Head take the left turn to Great Longstone. In Great Longstone turn right after the Crispin Inn onto Station Road - Thornbridge Outdoors is ½ mile on the right.
Public Transport Directions
Buses are available from Sheffield to Bakewell (5 miles from Thornbridge) or to Ashford-in-the-Water (1 mile from Thornbridge). It is also possible to get a bus from Bakewell to Great Longstone via Ashford-in-the-Water. The nearest train station is Grindleford (Station Road, Grindleford, Derbyshire, S32 2HY) approximately 7 miles away, on the Sheffield to Manchester line.
The nearest airports are:
Manchester Airport (34 miles away) Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport (42 miles away) East Midlands Airport (46 miles away) Leeds Bradford Airport (59 miles away) Liverpool John Lennon Airport (63 miles away) Birmingham International Airport (67 miles away)
Self Catering Self Assessment
Parking for Multiple unit properties:
Parking for Single unit properties:
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.