Sheldon House and Barn is a Grade II listed property situated on the edge of the small village of Monyash, high on the limestone plateau and well situated for Bakewell market town (5 miles) and Buxton spa town (8 miles). Sheldon House has four bedrooms with single, twin and double options available, all en-suite. A choice of breakfasts is offered with homemade items; dinners and packed lunches are available by arrangement.
Sheldon Barn is a separate self-catering first floor apartment with lovely views over nearby fields, sleeping four in twin and double rooms.
One of our biggest assets is the landscape and outdoor activities can be enjoyed from the door without needing to use your car. There are numerous walks to be taken - a famous one is Lathkill Dale; other longer walks include the Peak Pilgrimage and the Limestone Way. Cycling is a delight with rides along quiet lanes from half an hour up to a full day. Dedicated off road trails such as the High Peak Trail and the Tissington Trail are both just a 10 minute ride away; the Monsal trail is also easily accessible at Bakewell, Hassop Station or Millers Dale. The Pennine Bridleway (a long distance cycle route) is also nearby.
Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall are each less than 10 miles away and attractions such as Matlock Farm Park and the Heights of Abraham are also easily accessible. National Trust estates such as Longshaw and Dovedale are within half an hour’s drive and the ‘plague village’ of Eyam is about 20 minutes away.
Monyash is one of the Derbyshire village to celebrate the famous well dressings during May. The village has an excellent pub, The Bulls Head, which also serves food; The Royal Oak at Hurdlow is just a few minutes’ drive and other pubs can be found nearby, as well as restaurants in the local towns.
There are 3 dedicated off-road parking spaces at the front for B&B guests and 2 around the back for guests to Sheldon Barn. Children are welcome and a family rate is available in the Sheldon House whilst a stair gate, travel cot and high chair are available in Sheldon Barn.
We regret we do not allow pets indoors in either the House or the Barn.
Facebook rating 5 stars
Trip Advisor 5 stars
Sheldon Barn rating on cottages.com is 9.6
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Capacity||Room / Unit Tariff*||Notes|
|Double Room||2||£105.00 per room per night for bed & breakfast||Double room with en-suite shower room. £105 for one night; £85/night for more than one night.|
|King Room||2||£110.00 per room per night for bed & breakfast||Double room with en-suite shower room. £105 for one night; £85/night for more than one night.|
|Single Room||1||£100.00 per room per night for bed & breakfast||Single room with en-suite bathroom (shower over bath). £100 for one night; £80/night for more than one night.|
|Twin/Double Room||2||£105.00 per room per night for bed & breakfast||Twin / Double room with en-suite shower room. £105 for one night; £85/night for more than one night. This room can be linked with our single room (off the same landing) for use by families; in some circumstances a camp-bed can be provided to accommodate four people in the two rooms. Note: no other guests have use of the same landing when it is being used as family accommodation. The single room en-suite bathroom has a shower over a bath.|
*For one night - double or twin room £105; king room £110; single room £100. Discounts for multiple nights, see website for details
Family rate - £140/night for up to two adults and two children under 11, in adjacent rooms and staying for two or more nights
Sheldon House has 1 x king room, 1 x double room, 1 x twin/double room and a single room, all with en-suite facilities. However we are currently restricting numbers and rotating rooms so all are not available at the same time.
Sheldon Barn - 1st floor self catering apartment in a detached building: 1 x double room (en-suite, shower over bath) and 1 x twin room (separate bathroom with walk in shower), spacious living/dining room and a well-equipped kitchen.
Sheldon Barn rates vary from £350/week depending on season; shorter stays are available.
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- The AA AA COVID Confident Scheme 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
Booking & Payment Details
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Cooked Breakfast
- Evening meals - Evening meals may be available by arrangement with minimum 48 hours notice.
- Packed lunches provided - Packed lunches available if orcered in advance, by 7pm the previous evening.
- Special diets available - Gluten free vegan and other special diets catered for as long as prior notice is given
- Unlicensed - We are not licensed to offer alcohol but, if you are having an evening meal at SHeldon House, you are welcome to bring your own. No corkage fees; glassware provided.
- Vegetarian diet available
- Children welcome - Children of all ages are welcome, see website for details of special families rate (for chidren up to age 12).
- Cots available - Travel cot available with prior notice
- High chairs available - High chair cot available with prior notice
- 1m distancing in place - Only when 2m is not possible such as in narrow corridors
- 24-hour minimum vacancy between guests - We rotate rooms to facilitate this
- 2m distancing in place - This is our normal expectation
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff - Hand sanitisers at entrances to the building and the dining room.
- Meal times must be booked - We stagger breakfast times to facilitate social distancing.
- Open now
- Outside seating - Guests are welcome to use our garden to sit and relax.
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Central heating
- Free WIFI
- Secure cycle storage - Cycles may be stored in a lockable outbuilding, however the proprietors do not accept any liability for cycles which are stored at their owners' risk.
- Free Parking on Site - 2 dedicated parking spaces on site for self catering guests. Off-street parking at the front of the house for B&B guests.
- On street/public parking - 3 dedicated spaces for B&B guests at the front of the building
- Television available
- Totally non-smoking
- WiFi or internet access
- Private facilities - All B&B rooms have en-suite bathrooms with shower, WC and handbasin.
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Building of historical interest
- Single sex groups welcomed
Map & Directions
SatNav (DE45 1JJ) may take you to the crossroads in the middle of the village and Sheldon House is on Chapel Street, going north from the crossroads (so the pub is to the right as you enter Chapel Street). If approaching from:
Buxton (via Tagg Lane) - turn left at the crossroads into Chapel Street
Ashbourne (via The Rake) - go straight on at the crossroads into Chapel Street
Bakewell - turn right at the crossroads into Chapel Street
Go up the slight hill and we're on the left just as the road starts to go down again. Google Maps has Sheldon House identified and located correctly! Parking for B&B is off-road at the front of the house, at right-angles to the road. Parking for Sheldon Barn is at the rear of the Barn (through the gate to the right of the house).