The Roaches Holiday Cottages sit beneath Hen Cloud by the Roaches in the Peak District just 4 miles from the market town of Leek and 9 miles from Buxton in Derbyshire. The two self-catering cottages, Coach House and Smithy Cottage have open-plan living areas and breathtaking views over the Staffordshire Moorlands and Tittesworth Reservoir. Being 300 metres above sea level the air is wonderfully fresh and on clear nights the stars are beautifully visible.
Our two 3* (Visit England) cottages are great for walkers, climbers, cyclists exploring the Peak District and those simply enjoying a break away. These open-plan cottages are situated within rural farmland near the towns of Leek, Buxton and Ashbourne; the pottery centre of Stoke-on-Trent is only a few miles away and Manchester is only an hour drive away.
The cottages are ideal for getting out into Derbyshire to enjoy many places such as Chatsworth and Dovedale. Climbers will be challenged by the Roaches and Ramshaw Rocks whilst cyclists and walkers will get their hearts pumping exploring this beautiful area of the Peak District National Park. Tittesworth Reservoir is ideal for families and children to walk around and explore as well as with the playground there.
Children and adults can enjoy painting and throwing pots at the World of Wedgwood and Emma Bridgwater or visiting Alton Towers and the Trentham Estate with their beautiful gardens and exhilarating theme and adventure parks. For a calm and tranquil escape, the RSPB Coombe Valley Reserve is lovely to walk around through woods and meadows.
Coach House and Smithy Cottage are built in what used to be the Barn and are on the same site as the Roaches Tea Rooms which is owned and run by the same family. Each cottage is equipped so guests are able to cater for themselves in the cozy cottages or pop over to the Tea rooms across the courtyard for homemade breakfasts, lunches and afternoon teas .
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Capacity||Room / Unit Tariff*||Notes|
|Coach House||6||£400.00 per unit per week||Tariffs include bed linen, heating and water. *Prices vary between short and long stays and season. Pets accepted by arrangement with an additional charge of £5.00 per night. One mezzanine Double bedroom and one twin bedroom upstairs. One twin bedroom with ensuite shower room downstairs|
|Smithy Cottage||6||£450.00 per unit per week||Tariffs include bed linen, heating and water. *Prices vary between short and long stays and season. Pets accepted by arrangement with an additional charge of £5.00 per night. One Double bedroom with Four Poster and one twin bedroom upstairs. One twin bedroom with adult sized bunk beds downstairs.|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 3 Visit England Stars Self-catering
- Visit England VisitEngland Families Welcome 2019
Booking & Payment Details
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Breakfast available - Farmhouse Breakfasts and our Vegetarian Garden breakfasts can be purchased and enjoyed at the Roaches Tea Rooms across the courtyard which is open from 9am.
- Packed lunches provided - Available from the Tea Rooms across courtyard at an additional cost
- Restaurant - The Roaches Tea Rooms across the courtyard is open every day (apart from Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day) during the day and serves breakfasts, light and main meals including Sunday Lunches, afternoon teas, hot, cold and alcoholic beverages)
- Snacks/afternoon tea - Available from our tea rooms across the courtyard, freshly made sandwiches, homemade cakes and scones including gluten free are ready to be enjoyed.
- Children welcome - Any age
- Cots available
- High chairs available
- Microwave cooker
- Advance booking essential
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash
- Capacity limit
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions - At the tea rooms
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Individually wrapped toiletries
- Online booking possible
- Outside seating - Available when the tea rooms are closed
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Central heating - Oil central heating included in tariff
- Ironing facilities
- Laundry facilities - A washing machine and tumble dryer are available to guests at an additional charge and are located in an outhouse near the cottages.
Linen & Bedding
- Linen provided - All bed linen included in tariff together with tea towels and hand towels. Guests are asked to bring their own bath towels.
- Private parking - Just outside cottages
- Cleaning service
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement - Well behaved dogs please, not on sofas or beds! £5 additional charge per night
- DVD player
- Ground floor bedroom
- Satellite TV
- Single sex groups welcomed
Property Facilities: Coach House
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Scenic view
Room/Unit Facilities: Smithy Cottage
Map & Directions
Take the turning for Upper Hulme from the A53 Buxton Road 3 miles north of Leek. Follow the road through Upper Hulme and up the lane, after about half a mile turn left over a cattle grid and down the driveway towards the tea rooms car park. The cottages are on the left of the driveway with parking just outside. Be aware that Satelite Navigation systems will normally drop you about half a mile doen the road in the centre of Upper Hulme!
Public Transport Directions
Trains may be take to either Macclesfield, Buxton or Stoke. There are buses which go between Leek and Buxton which can drop passengers off near the Three Horseshoes on the A53 Buxton Road. It is then about a mile and a half partly uphill to the cottages.