You have visited:

image for Village item typeWalton on Trentadd to shortlist

Village

Walton on Trent Church

Walton on Trent Church

Contact

Tourist Information Centre

Also at this Venue

Details

Walton on Trent is situated about 4 miles south-west of Burton, on the east bank of the River Trent in South Derbyshire and in The National Forest. The village was originally located to the south of the present village and stood on the earthworks known as Borough Hill. This still commands an imposing view over the river and is probably the site of an iron age fort. The village today is now located near the church and bridge. Walton is an ancient fording point, with an iron bridge being built over the River Trent in 1834. This has been replaced numerous times over the past 100 years.

The most noteworthy buildings in the village are the church and the Old and New Halls. The church contains some late Norman work and fragmentary remains of a possible Anglo Saxon church. It also has some fine early 20th century woodwork, carved by the rector and a south transept of c1334 which was originally built as the chantry for the Waley family. Walton Hall was built in 1724-9 to replace the old timber framed hall. The New Hall, in a commanding situation overlooking the river, was built for William Taylor, by Richard Jackson of Armitage.

Disabled accessPostboxTelephone (public)Accepts groups

Children welcomeDisabled accessDogs accepted

Location

Directions

See location of Walton on Trent on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SK 299197  Lat: 52.77406 Long: -1.55821

Situated about 4 miles south-west of Burton

Facilities

  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • PostboxPostbox
  • Telephone (public)Telephone (public)
  • Accepts groupsAccepts groups
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Dogs acceptedDogs accepted