Swarkestone, in South Derbyshire, is memorable as an important crossing point of the River Trent, marked by the handsome river bridge of 1797. The previous medieval bridge was swept away by a flood in 1795. The river bridge leads onto a stone causeway with occasional flood arches, largely medieval but widened in the 19th century. The bridge and causeway together comprise a Scheduled Ancient Monument about 3/4 mile (1.2 kilometre) long, and are known as Swarkestone Bridge; this is the longest stone bridge in England. It was at Swarkestone Bridge in 1745 that Bonnie Prince Charlie's men lost hope and turned back northwards, abandoning their march to London to claim the British throne for their master.
Other features of Swarkestone which may attract the attention of visitors are the 17th century gate pillars and banqueting house of the former Swarkestone Hall, demolished in the mid 18th century. The banqueting house or 'pavilion', with its twin domed towers, was probably built in 1632 and is now a property of the Landmark Trust.
Open all the time
South Derbyshire, DE73 1JA
Map reference: SK 364293 Lat: 52.85995 Long: -1.46080
Accessible by Public Transport : 6 miles (9.7 kms) from Derby station