You have visited:

image for Village item typeStanton by Bridgeadd to shortlist

Village

Church at Stanton by Bridge

Church at Stanton by Bridge

Church at Stanton by Bridge

Contact

Swadlincote Tourist Information Centre

Details

Stanton by Bridge is situated 6 miles south of Derby on the Derby to Melbourne Road in South Derbyshire. It is located at the southern end of the long Swarkestone Causeway overlooking the Trent Valley. The village green contains an oak tree planted to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria (1897). The village street runs off to the west, and is quiet and retired. There are several Georgian farmhouses of brick and tile and the street culminates at the west end with a large Rectory house and the small Parish Church of St Michael, which incorporates some Anglo Saxon masonry.

Stanton means "stony farm or estate", so it is no surprise that there are several abandoned quarries around the village. In 1889 a borehole was sunk to provide water to Melbourne, Long Eaton, Castle Donnington and Kings Newton. The pumping station, which was built in 1892 can still be seen on the east side of the village, but the borehole was discontinued in 1999.

Disabled accessTelephone (public)

Children welcomeDisabled accessDogs accepted

Location

Directions

See location of Stanton by Bridge on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SK 367271  Lat: 52.84016 Long: -1.45659

Situated on the A514

Accessible by Public Transport: 6 miles from Derby station

Facilities

  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Telephone (public)Telephone (public)
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Dogs acceptedDogs accepted