Hartshorne is a village and parish within South Derbyshire and The National Forest. The Manor House in Hartshorne, believed to have been built in 1629, is a grade II timber-framed house which dominates the road junction at the top of the village.
St Peters Church was rebuilt in 1835 to the designs of Henry Stevens, a well known Derby architect. The medieval tower survives from the previous building.
The Old Mill Wheel on Ticknall Road probably began life as a corn mill and during the 17th century the water wheel was converted to drive the bellows of an iron smelting furnace. In 1767, William Wyatt of Burton upon Trent purchased the mill and used it for making wood screws. The mill continued to thrive until c1846, after which it was used as a saw mill and maltings until c1943. The building then fell into decline until 1987 when it was completely renovated. The 24' diameter overshot water wheel is now restored and operating again and is an attractive feature of the pub and restaurant now known as the Old Mill Wheel.
Now Available! 'Hartshorne Circular Walk' one in a series of walks published in the 'More Walks in South Derbyshire' booklet priced at £2.00 (+50p postage). Please contact Swadlincote Tourist Information Centre to obtain your copy.
- Public toilets
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome