A small village (originally named Buggesworth but changed by the Victorians who disliked the association with "bugs") at the start of the Peak Forest Canal, and with the beautifully restored Bugsworth Basin. When the canal was first built, Buxworth became the biggest inland port in the country, being able to moor over 100 boats at any one time.
The Peak Forest Canal came to Buxworth in 1798, and was in continuous operation until 1928. Limestone was brought to Bugsworth Basin from Dove Holes via a tramway, part of which is now a well-used bridleway alongside the beautiful Black Brook.
The Inland Waterways Protection Society has restored the Basin which is now listed a Grade 1 Industrial Archaeological Site and was re-opened for navigation in 2005.
The Navigation Inn serves as a central point for the village.
Open all the time
High Peak, Derbyshire, SK23 7AA
Map reference: SK 011813 Lat: 53.32860 Long: -1.98493
Nearest station : 2 miles (3.2 kms) from Chinley station
|Sun 23 - Fri 28 Jun 2013||Buxworth Well Dressing under Construction|
|Sat 29 Jun 2013 - Sun 7 Jul 2013||Buxworth Well Dressing|