Shardlow is situated 8 miles south east of Derby in South Derbyshire and was once a considerable inland port on the River Trent. Shardlow and Stourbridge are the only two inland ports which still exist largely intact in Britain. Shardlow is a village of two parts. To the west is the old village, predating the canal. To east, the inland port was a new settlement created by the construction of the Trent and Mersey Canal, opened in 1777. Shardlow's impressive collection of warehouses and boat owner's houses, with the waterway as a backbone, give it a distinct character and a strong sense of place. In years gone by Fly boats left Shardlow for Derby, Nottingham, Hull, Lincoln, Liverpool and Manchester.
Even before the canal was built, Shardlow was of significance for its ferry on the main road and for its situation on the Trent Navigation. Shardlow today has many inns and restaurants and the canal and river have been extensively developed for leisure use. Follow the story of how Shardlow has developed over the years at Shardlow Heritage Centre, located next to the Clock Warehouse.
Now Available! Shardlow Circular Walk' one in a series of walks published in the 'More Walks in South Derbyshire' booklet priced at £2 (+50p postage). Please contact Swadlincote Tourist Information Centre to purchase your copy.
- Disabled access
- Telephone (public)
- Accepts groups
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted