Events at this Venue
|Tue 13 Dec||Make your own Christmas Wreath|
|Tue 20 Dec||Calke from Medieval Priory to Elizabethan Mansion|
|Sun 8 Jan||Fitness Fest 2017 at Repton Village Hall|
|Tue 17 Jan||"Street Names and Chimney Pots" ~ Talk|
|Tue 21 Feb||"The English Highwayman" ~ Talk|
|Sat 25 - Sun 26 Feb||NGS Open Garden - 10 Chestnut Way|
Repton, former capital of the Anglo Saxon kingdom of Mercia, is today a fusion of village and public school. This South Derbyshire village has one principal street, lined with a number of handsome Georgian houses and cottages. The Medieval cross on its imposing octagonal steps serves as a focal point on the road junction at the north end.
The church is of national importance. Under the east end of the church is an Anglo Saxon crypt of the 8th and 9th centuries, which once held the bones of St. Wystan and was a place of pilgrimage. With its spiral decorated columns and vaulted roof, the crypt is one of England's most precious survivals of Anglo Saxon architecture.
To the east of the church are the remains of Repton Priory, an Augustinian house founded in 1172. Its precinct wall and arch of its 13th century gatehouse are still important features of the village. After the dissolution of the Monasteries, part of the priory buildings became the home of Repton School which was founded in 1557. Another part became Repton Hall, which is now also part of the school.
Now Available! 'Repton Walk' one in a series of walks published in the '5 Walks in South Derbyshire' booklet priced at £2.00 (+50p postage). Please contact Swadlincote Tourist Information Centre to obtain a copy.
- Cash Point
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Education/study area
- Gift shop
- On-site catering
- Public toilets
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
- Dogs accepted