Aston-on-Trent is an unspoilt South Derbyshire village situated 8 miles south of Derby city centre where the River Trent divides the counties of Derbyshire and Staffordshire.
Aston and Weston were originally twin settlements, being the 'east farm' and 'west farm' respectively. The centre of Aston village is an attractive conservation area. The most important builings are the medieval parish church and the adjacent Hall, built by Robert Holden (1676-1746) and his wife Elizabeth in 1735. Its design is attributed to one of the Smiths of Warwick and is now converted into apartments. The church formerly served the inhabitants of Shardlow and Great Wilne as well as Aston. A 'church boat' was used to transport villagers to Aston where space was reserved for them south of the aisle.
There are important prehistoric remains in the Trent Valley gravels beneath Aston and in 1998 a Bronze Age log boat was discovered on the edge of the parish near Shardlow. It was formed from the trunk of an oak tree and has been dated to approx. 1350BC. It is now on show at the Derby Museum and Art Gallery.
The village contains several pubs and shops around an area called The Green and has an active events calendar, which includes the Well in the Making and Well Dressings during the summer.
Please contact the Tourist Information Centre to obtain your free copy of the Aston on Trent Historical Walk leaflet - A history trail and guided walk around the village and footpaths of Aston-on-Trent.
SK 414292 52.85869 -1.38656
From North/South : At M1, junction 24, take A50 west towards Derby. At 1st exit, signed to Castle Donington and Long Eaton, take 4th exit off roundabout, signed Shardlow. Follow road through Shardlow. At Dog and Duck Pub, turn left into Aston Lane. Continue along lane (approximately 1 mile) until you enter Aston-on-Trent. The Green is on Derby Road in the centre of the village just past All Saints Church. Follow signs for free parking and disabled parking.
From East : Head towards the M1, junction 24 on A6 or A453 and follow directions for North/South.
From West : Follow A50 eastwards towards M1. At junction 3 (A514) take 4th exit of roundabout towards Swarkestone. Take 2nd road on the left (signed Weston-on-Trent). Follow road through village (approximately 2 miles) continuing along into Aston-on-Trent. At T-junction turn left. The Green is on Derby Road. Follow signs for free parking and disabled parking.
: 8 miles from Derby station
- Cash Point
- Coach parties accepted
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Telephone (public)
- Welcome Host
- Accepts groups
- Children welcome
- Disabled access