You have visited:

image for Village item typeAlvastonadd to shortlist

Village

Details

The village of Alvaston is situated four miles S.E. from Derby. The manor of Alewoldstone (Alvaston) was given by the Conqueror to Geoffrey Alselin. Subsequently it passed through various families by whom portions of land were alienated and given to the abbeys of Dale and Darley. After the dissolution of these monasteries the lands of the former were granted in 1547 to Henry Needham; and the land and tithes which had belonged to the latter were given by Queen Mary to the bailiffs and burgesses of the town of Derby. The parish church of St. Michael and All Angels' was rebuilt after 1856 on the site of the old church.

Cash PointDisabled accessDisabled toiletsPostboxPublic toiletsTelephone (public)

Children welcomeDisabled accessDogs accepted

Location

Directions

See location of Alvaston on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: SK 353364  Lat: 52.92385 Long: -1.47637

Two miles south of Derby on the A6

Parking: with charge

Accessible by Public Transport: 2 miles from Derby station

Facilities

  • Cash PointCash Point
  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Disabled toiletsDisabled toilets
  • PostboxPostbox
  • Public toiletsPublic toilets
  • Telephone (public)Telephone (public)
  • Children welcomeChildren welcome
  • Disabled accessDisabled access
  • Dogs acceptedDogs accepted