Old and New Tupton together make the Parish of Tupton. There has been a settlement here since Saxon times, as the village lies along the route of Ryknield Street, the Roman road between Derby (Derventio) and Rotherham. The Saxon name for the village was Topis Tun or Tuphome. 'Tun' is a dwelling, presumably belonging to Topis, but 'Tup' means sheep or goats so it could be 'the home of the tup'!
Tupton grew with the coal industry in the 19th and 20th Centuries and gained a railway station when George Stephenson routed the Midland line through the village.
It's a sad fact that Tupton suffered more civilian deaths as a result of enemy action during World War II than any other rural community in Derbyshire. In the early hours of 15 March 1941, German aircraft bombed several houses in Tupton, killing 11 people.
Today the station has gone, the coal mines have closed and a community garden has been built near the site of the bombing.
SK 384711 53.23554 -1.42613
Leave M1 motorway at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At traffic light controlled roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (A61, Derby Road). Follow road through 3 sets of traffic lights for approx 3 miles to a roundabout. Take 2nd exit to Old Tupton.
Follow A617 to M1 motorway junction, then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and, at traffic lights, go straight on. When carriageway divides, select right hand lane and at roundabout take 3rd exit. At next roundabout (traffic light controlled), select right hand lane and take 3rd exit (A61, Derby Road), then follow route from North/South.
: 4 miles from Chesterfield station
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted