Events at this Venue
Old Brampton lies on the ancient road westward across the moors to Baslow and beyond. It's church is Grade 1 Listed, dating from Norman times. Mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, Old Brampton was one of the manors belonging to Walter Deincourt, who accompanied William the Conqueror to England in 1066.
The Church was dramatically transformed between 1200 and 1300. One of the families responsible for this work was probably the Caus family and, in the 19th Century, a tombstone of Matilda le Caus was dug up in the churchyard. Matilda was the Chief Forester for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, and her first husband, Adam Fitz-Peter owned the manor of Old Brampton.
The Church of St Peter and St Paul is much better known, though, for its clock. Bought in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, the clock has 63 minutes, randomly arranged around the dial. Nobody knows how this happened but the George and Dragon pub is across the road from the Church…
Although the old road which the village stretches out along was a turn-pike and became a Public Carriage Road in 1815, most of the traffic heading west out of Chesterfield takes the new A619, leaving Old Brampton in peace and quiet.
SK 384711 53.23554 -1.42613
From junction 29 of M1 take A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At traffic light controlled roundabout select left lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select left lane and take 1st exit (continuous lane). At traffic lights select right hand lane and go straight on. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) take 3rd exit (Foljambe Road). At traffic lights at top of hill turn left and follow road for approx 1¼ miles to roundabout (Woodside Inn), then take 2nd exit and continue for 1½ miles and St Peter's and St Paul's Church is on right.
Follow A617 to M1 motorway roundabout, then follow route from North/South.
Follow A619 towards Chesterfield. Approximately 4 miles from Baslow take a left turn at Wadshelf on to Top Lane and follow road round sharp left bend. At T junction at end of road, turn right and follow road for approx 1½ miles. St Peter and St Paul's Church is on left.
: 4 miles from Chesterfield station
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted