Cutthorpe is a small sleepy village with a village school, three pubs and two historic halls (both in private ownership and not open to the public). The village is spread out over 3 miles and includes Linacre Reservoirs with its bluebell woods and many walking trails.
At the time of the Domesday Book, Cutthorpe was part of the lands owned by Walter de Linacre. Linacre literally means arable land where flax is grown and records from the 13th Century state that linen was made in the valley. Linacre House was the birth place of Dr Thomas Linacre, physician to the young Mary Queen of Scots. The foundations of the building now lie beneath one of the car parks at the Reservoirs.
Cutthorpe Hall was bought by the Heathcote Family in 1614. The Heathcotes also owned property in Chesterfield and were a prominent local family. In 1691, Caleb Heathcote emigrated to America and held the office of Mayor of New York on three successive occasions. His brother, Gilbert, became Governor of the Bank of England and, in 1711, the Lord Mayor of London - at the same time that Caleb was the Mayor of New York.
The Old Manor House was one of the first houses to be built in Cutthorpe in 1417 and was owned by Ralph Clarke, who extended it in 1626. A man by the same name was made first Mayor of Chesterfield under the terms set out in the Charter of 1598, but it's doubtful this was the same man.
SK 343735 53.25739 -1.48730
Leave M1 at junction 29 and follow A617 to Chesterfield (approx 4 miles). At traffic light controlled roundabout select middle lane and take 3rd exit. At next roundabout select right lane and take 2nd exit. Keep to right hand lane and go straight on through traffic lights and round 'Crooked Spire' Church. Select right hand lane. At traffic lights go straight on. Keep to right hand lane as approach large roundabout with car park in middle. Follow signs to Sheffield round the roundabout. At mini roundabout take 1st exit (B6051, Newbold Road). Go straight on at all mini roundabouts (The Highfield, Highfield Lane and the Nag's Head). At traffic lights select right lane and go straight on. Follow road for approx 1 mile. At Four Lane Ends take left turn signposted Cutthorpe (B6050). Follow road into village.
Take A617 to M1 motorway junction, then follow route from North/South.
Take A619 to Chesterfield. Pass Brookfield Community School on left and, at traffic lights, turn left onto Storrs Road. Follow road to end and, at mini roundabout take 1st exit. Take first right turn (Slack Lane). At roundabout take 2nd exit (B6150). At next roundabout take 2nd exit (B6150). At traffic lights select left lane and turn left. Follow road for approx 1 mile. At Four Lane Ends take left turn signposted Cutthorpe (B6050). Follow road into village.
: 3 miles from Chesterfield station
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted