Events at this Venue
The village of Calow dates back to 1086 when it was known as 'Kalehal', which means the bare corner of land! By 1430 it's name had become 'Calell', then 'Calo' in 1561. According to the Domesday Book, the manor house at Calow 'belonged to the king'. It later came into the posession of the Breton's and the Foljambe's.
The Foljambe Family rose from foresters at Tideswell in the Peak District, to landholders in the Chesterfield area. They contributed to the building of Tideswell Parish Church (known today as the Cathedral of the Peak). A series of successful marriages brought the Family estates in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire and they moved to the Chesterfield area in the 14th Century.
The family were ideally situated to take advantage of the mineral wealth of their estates. Both coal and iron were worked in Calow and, even in the 20th Century, coal was being mined near the village. Today, the collieries are closed and Calow is more notable for the Chesterfield and North East Derbyshire Royal Hospital built just outside the village boundaries in 1986.
SK 408709 53.23356 -1.39020
Leave M1 motorway at junction 29 and follow A617 towards Chesterfield. Leave by 1st slip road (approx 2 miles) and turn right at end of slip road (B6425) Follow road for approx 1½ miles and, at traffic lights, turn left (A632). Follow road for approx ¾ mile into Calow Village.
Follow A617 to junction with M1 motorway, then follow route North/South
Follow A619 to Chesterfield. At traffic light controlled roundabout (Lidl on left) select middle lane and take 3rd exit. Keep in left lane and, at traffic lights go straight on. Stay in left lane but, at roundabout, select middle lane and take 2nd exit (A632). Follow road, going straight on at traffic lights, for about 1 mile and, at traffic lights (Royal Hospital) go straight on. Follow road for approx 1 mile into Calow Village.
: 3 miles from Chesterfield station
- Disabled access
- Telephone (public)
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted