Upper Langwith, once known as Langwith Bassett after the family who owned the village, is a tiny hamlet surrounded by pretty countryside. Langwith is actually a collection of 4 villages that sit astride the Derbyshire-Nottinghamshire border.
Though not as famous as Creswell Crags, the area was in use by Stone Age man. A human skull called the Langwith Cranium was discovered in a cave on the edge of the village. Dated between 40,000 and 60,000 years old, the skull is now in the Natural History Museum in London.
Langwith is an Anglo-Saxon word meaning 'long willows' probably from the willows that used to be found near the stream and which were used in basketwork. After the Norman Conquest, the lands came into the ownership of the powerful and wealthy Bassett family. They possessed large estates throughout the area for almost 300 years and, in 1330, they had 2 parks in Langwith. Later on, the lands passed into the ownership of the Hardwicks and, through Bess of Hardwick, to the Dukes of Devonshire.
The Church of the Holy Cross in Langwith dates back to 1140 and has one of the prettiest views from any church in Derbyshire. Although it has lost its Norman arch, it has kept other 13th and 14th Century features.
SK 384711 53.23554 -1.42613
Follow A60 south from Worksop or north from Mansfield. At Cuckney follow A632 west through Langwith. Once through Langwith take 1st left towards Shirebrook (on sharp right hand bend). Then take 1st right fork (unclassified road) and Church is set back from road on right.
Follow A616 west from Ollerton to junction with A60. Turn south on A60 towards Mansfield and, at Cuckney, take A632 west through Langwith. Once through Langwith take 1st left towards Shirebrook (on sharp right hand bend). Then take 1st right fork and Church is set back from road on right.
Follow A632 east from Chesterfield to Bolsover. Continue following A632 through Bolsover and Hillstown to staggered crossroads with traffic lights. Turn left and immediately right to continue on A632. Continue on A632 for just over 1 mile and take right fork signposted Shirebrook. Follow road, passing Devonshire Arms pub on right, then take 1st left fork, follow road for approx 1 mile and Church is set back from road on left.
- Baby changing facilities
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted